[SOLVED] 2x8GB or 1x16GB

byakuya000

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
I'm planning on buying an ASROCK B460M-HDV for a motherboard for an entry level PC.
It has Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology, 2 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
My problem was that the only available RAM that are in my budget are all single stick kits.
Would it be better to buy 2 single sticks of 8GB or 1 16GB for gaming?

Solution
I'm planning on buying an ASROCK B460M-HDV for a motherboard for an entry level PC.
My problem was that the only available RAM that are in my budget are all single stick kits.
What are the models and specs of the modules you have access to? Where are you buying the ram?

Everyone is going to tell you to buy 2x8GB in a single kit and not as two separate modules, but if you don't have access to a 2x8GB kit and can return the ram for a refund or exchange, I would say get two 8GB modules and try them. Don't expect it to work as advertised, but you have a decent chance of the modules working together...
What are the models and specs of the modules you have access to? Where are you buying the ram?

Everyone is going to tell you to buy 2x8GB in a single kit and not as two separate modules, but if you don't have access to a 2x8GB kit and can return the ram for a refund or exchange, I would say get two 8GB modules and try them. Don't expect it to work as advertised, but you have a decent chance of the modules working together as long as they are the same brand and model/spec. The worst that will happen is they don't work at all, they don't work at the advertised spec or one of them doesn't work with the other and you have to return the ram.

Personally I would rather risk having to return two different modules that don't work together, than run a single 16GB module, especially if the single module is slower than 2666MT/s.

Solution
Dual ram sticks will let you run in faster dual channel mode.
That is particularly good if you are planning on using the integrated graphics adapter.
But, for a desktop pc, a single 16gb stick would be acceptable.
I would rather not deal with possible mismatched ram issues.

What ram is within your budget, and what options do you have that are out of it?

What will be your processor, and what are the other parts of your prospective build?
Perhaps we can find a better balance for your budget.

Where will you shop and what is your budget?
Ram faster than 2666 is not likely to be supported by your processor if it is entry level. 2133 speed in dual channel would be much better if that is an option.