2x8GB or 4x4GB

Kresimir Kramar

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
so i can buy 2x8gb at 2800mhz cl14 or 4x4gb cl14 with 2666mhz speed combined with i5 6600k
i am only intrested in gaming and maybe recordnig
2x8gb is just one euro more expensive than 4x4gb kit
sry for bard eng :)

Solution
I find the current crop of gpu's unimpressive on a value basis at this moment in time more than anything.
That's more down to sloppy game development than amd & nvidia though , every time a stronger range of cards like the 970 & 390 become the mainstream & most popular component in peoples builds the developers seem to try less to optimise games for the lower end models.
The 970 could easily max any title on its release & yet now quite a few titles have to be dropped to high to maintain 60fps.
Regarding zen - literally all amd have to do is drop a 6 & 8 core with comparative single core performance to an haswell i5 at a similar price point & it'll be enough to keep them firmly in the game. That seems to be their general aim with their...
^ I disagree completely now - maybe 2 years ago but with games like GTA 5 & witcher 3 constantly pulling 6-7gb of ram usage there's no reason not to go 16gb now if its in budget.

The 8gb ram recommendation for gaming died about the same time as the 2gb vram did for gpu's.

16gb system ram & 3-4gb GPU ram are what you want nowadays for optimal gaming.

What are your current specs ?? Can you wait ??

I'm waiting for zen personally , my current system is enough to keep me going for at least 18 months.

If amd drop a 6 or 8 core with performance to match even a 4460 @ stock speed they'll get my money & support personally, while Intel make a decidedly superior product I can't abide them as a company.

I've used AMD as well. I am still running my Phenom II X4 945, and would like to upgrade it, but really disliked the FX series and did not see it as much of an improvement. If Zen is nothing special, than can always wait for Intel Cannonlake which will be the first chips on the 10 nm process.

For now, my SSD upgrade has my system running like butter, and is fine for what I do with it.

I find the current crop of gpu's unimpressive on a value basis at this moment in time more than anything.
That's more down to sloppy game development than amd & nvidia though , every time a stronger range of cards like the 970 & 390 become the mainstream & most popular component in peoples builds the developers seem to try less to optimise games for the lower end models.
The 970 could easily max any title on its release & yet now quite a few titles have to be dropped to high to maintain 60fps.
Regarding zen - literally all amd have to do is drop a 6 & 8 core with comparative single core performance to an haswell i5 at a similar price point & it'll be enough to keep them firmly in the game. That seems to be their general aim with their estimated 40% IPC increase so fingers crossed .

Solution

bdivi2000

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

This is actually supporting my point. There is nothing more useless than RAM that is not used. I am running all kind of games, heavy office work and multimedia and I have never seen my 8GB full. This is also supported by countless reviews and benchmarks by reputable sites including Tom's.

As I sad you better buy the ram that you need and invest the rest in something that is useful today - better video, better CPU, SSD, etc. The easiest thing to do is add more RAM if/when needed.

Cannonlake was originally planned for 2016, but got pushed back to 2017. It is the 10 nm shrink, and the next "tick" in the "tick-tock" cadence of Intel CPU's.

The 2016 new CPU part will be Kaby Lake which should debut sometime in the 2nd half of 2016. It will be a 14 nm part.