[SOLVED] 2x8gb or 4x4gb?

Jan 10, 2020
My Cpu is a ryzen 3 2200g and my mobo is the Asrock b450m pro4. I'm only 14 so i can't get a job or an allowance so keep that in mind. So i just got 2x4gb 3000mhz kit and noticed that the majority of my games need more general memory over speed. I noticed i had the money for another kit of 2x4gb 3000mhz for 16gb of ram but i wasn't sure if it was worth it. ( Btw i get massive micro stutters from low memory right now so...)

Solution
You can generally run 4 sticks without impact even though it's dual channel, if your run kits with high speeds and tight timings you will usually have to loosen the timings to run 4 sticks instead of 2 and you may have (Though rare) compatibility issues if the sticks mismatch (Even though they may be the same model, if purchased at different times and as 2 kits they may have different memory dies in them, kits are selected to match each other but there is no guarantee of matching across kits)

I generally would still say 2x8 over 4x4 because you would have 2 slots open down the road, but since you already had 2x4 there is a good case to go 4x4.

I have run 6x2 (Triple Channel x58) and 4x8 (Z87) with higher frequency sticks without...
Jan 10, 2020
i'm looking for maybe a less vague answer. like, i know gaming performance might got down like 2 fps but i don't do professional workloads or anything. and i'm getting micro stuttering right now.
I know its optimum but can you tell me if its possible.

Jan 10, 2020
Jan 10, 2020
You can generally run 4 sticks without impact even though it's dual channel, if your run kits with high speeds and tight timings you will usually have to loosen the timings to run 4 sticks instead of 2 and you may have (Though rare) compatibility issues if the sticks mismatch (Even though they may be the same model, if purchased at different times and as 2 kits they may have different memory dies in them, kits are selected to match each other but there is no guarantee of matching across kits)

I generally would still say 2x8 over 4x4 because you would have 2 slots open down the road, but since you already had 2x4 there is a good case to go 4x4.

I have run 6x2 (Triple Channel x58) and 4x8 (Z87) with higher frequency sticks without issue, but you do have to be prepared to loosen things if they don't mesh well

Reactions: obigowens
Solution
Jan 10, 2020

I have run 6x2 (Triple Channel x58) and 4x8 (Z87) with higher frequency sticks without issue, but you do have to be prepared to loosen things if they don't mesh well
Thank you so much. i was afraid that i would have to get rid of a $45 christmas present but i'm very glad to see a way less vague answer and some experience to back it up!