[SOLVED] 2x8gb RAM Stick Reads as 2x4GB in Bios

Feb 15, 2022
Windows 10 64-bit
P8Z68-VPRO/GEN3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)
2400MHz (running at 2133mhz per CPU limit)
10-12-12-31
1.65V
(CMZ16GX3M2A2400C10)
i7-2600K OC @ 4.4ghz, 1.345V
MSI Vestus RTX 2060

The bios is reading each RAM stick as only 4GB, for a total of 8GB RAM. I've tried all A1-A2-B1-B2 configurations. Old RAM worked fine, so I mostly know the DIMM slots are all good, but it was only a 3x4GB left of a 4x4 kit of Corsair 1600mhz, so never tried 8GB in one slot. Official memory list doesn't have anything over 4GB a stick, but motherboard is rated for total of 32 GB ram using 8GB sticks.

Bios is latest update from 2015 on such an old board. I've tried the MemOK! to cycle configuration.

Benchmarks and stress tests well, would just like to get the extra GBs. At a loss for additional steps to try. Any thoughts?

Solution
There is an 8GB QVL for your board, but it only lists two manufacturers (neither is Corsair).
I'm leaning towards a simple incompatibility between the Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz RAM and the motherboard just not knowing what to do with it (though it does correctly cut the speed to 2133MHz).

-Wolf sends

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried resetting bios to defaults.
It is possible you need to get it to relearn the ram.

Feb 15, 2022
have you tried resetting bios to defaults.
It is possible you need to get it to relearn the ram.

Yes, I set back to default and then tried a few things like the XMS and OC Scanner to see if those would catch something. The XMS auto detects all the speed, latency, and voltage settings correctly, but still 4GB per stick.

I have not tried a full CMOS reset though or reseating the CPU ideas from that thread.

Feb 15, 2022
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Below is the requested information. Update in general, a CMOS reset did not cause the RAM to be picked up in BIOS any differently. I'm hesitant to reseat the CPU, given that it's a 10 year old system that has ran great except for a stick of RAM going bad. If it was a new build I would go for it and assume I didn't seat it well.

I'll add that userbench reads the RAM like it's 2x4 GB sticks with the CMZ16GX3M4A2400C10 model number as well as CPU-Z validation, so basically half of a kit 4x4 kit. Is the RAM just mislabeled and I need to return?

Memory
Type: DDR3
Channel # Dual
Size: 8 GBytes
DC Mode: (grey)
Uncore Frequency: (grey)

DRAM Frequency: 1066.8 MHz
FSB:DRAM: 1:8
CAS# Latency (CL): 10.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 12 clocks
RAS # Precharge (tRP): 12 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 29 clocks
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC): 278 clocks
Command Rate (CR): 2T

I can't get any images to insert from imgur, too much information on the SPD tab to type out, but it basically matches up. The timings are a little slower from what XMP loaded in BIOS on the XMP-2400 section, 11-13-13-31 @ 1.650V, but I don't see anything else off, other than you know, the model number and GB don't match what I ordered or is on the RAM stick labels.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022
Sounds like you need to contact the seller and return or exchange the ram.

That is the direction I'm leaning. Per the other BIOS issues I've seen online with this board related to RAM, it could be verified as a BIOS issue by the fact CPU-Z recognizes the sticks correctly, however in my case, everything seems to agreed that they're 4GB sticks, whatever the label says.

Wolfshadw

Titan
There is an 8GB QVL for your board, but it only lists two manufacturers (neither is Corsair).
I'm leaning towards a simple incompatibility between the Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz RAM and the motherboard just not knowing what to do with it (though it does correctly cut the speed to 2133MHz).

-Wolf sends

Solution

TRENDING THREADS