[SOLVED] 3.0 header Y cable and 3.0 to 2.0 adapter to overcome lack of 2.0 header on mobo.

Nov 23, 2021
Good morning,

I recently picked up an Alienware Aurora R12. I enjoy the RGB lighting on the front, but there was a lack of it from within the case. I picked up a Lighting Node Pro from Corsair and put it in place. Powered by SATA and connects for the purpose of controlling the settings via a usb 2.0 header. The issue is that my board only has 3.0 headers. I was able to overcome this by connecting it through a normal usb cable through the rear panel and plugging into an actual USB port.

I decided to add some more lighting in the form of an upgraded PSU, memory, and added 2 fans to the system. All of this would not work with the Lighting Node Pro so I purchased a Commander Core XT. This is where the problem lies. It also uses 2.0 headers. The difference is that with the Lightning Node Pro, it simply has a usb port so I was able to use an actual usb cable to run it through the back and into a usb port. This same trick can't/does not work with the Core XT, as it is also has a 2.0 requirement, but it's built into the component so I have to use it. I picked up a 9 pin usb 2.0 to external usb adapter, but the system doesn't recognize it (can't find any driver package for the Core XT to try and fix it not showing up right in device manager.

So here is my idea. I have 2 usb 3.0 headers on the board, but both are being used. If I were to get a Y cable and split it so I had three 3.0 headers and use a 2.0 adapter to make the Core XT go through 3.0 instead, then I could have everything still functioning on the system as it were, but have introduced the XT into the system as well. Does this sound feasible to do? Additional note: According to the service manual for my machine, both the 3.0 ports are used for front panel connectivity. The front panel has 3 usb, 1 usb-c, microphone, and headphone ports. Only one usb and the usb-c ports will most likely ever be used.

Solution
If I were to get a Y cable and split it so I had three 3.0 headers

Based your topic title, it seems you are asking to link you the purchase pages of said adapters. If so;

Internal USB 3 Y-splitter (among plethora of similar ones),
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GINTOOYUN-Extension-Splitter-Internal-Adapter/dp/B09CGL4K96/

Internal USB 2 -> USB 3,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Internal-19-Pin-Adapter-G11303050-RT/dp/B00B1RM5YU

The front panel has 3 usb, 1 usb-c, microphone, and headphone ports. Only one usb and the usb-c ports will most likely ever be used.

Mic and headphone ports have their own dedicated cable going to MoBo, usually labelled as HD Audio.

Splitting USB header on MoBo, can...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If I were to get a Y cable and split it so I had three 3.0 headers

Based your topic title, it seems you are asking to link you the purchase pages of said adapters. If so;

Internal USB 3 Y-splitter (among plethora of similar ones),
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GINTOOYUN-Extension-Splitter-Internal-Adapter/dp/B09CGL4K96/

Internal USB 2 -> USB 3,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Internal-19-Pin-Adapter-G11303050-RT/dp/B00B1RM5YU

The front panel has 3 usb, 1 usb-c, microphone, and headphone ports. Only one usb and the usb-c ports will most likely ever be used.

Mic and headphone ports have their own dedicated cable going to MoBo, usually labelled as HD Audio.

Splitting USB header on MoBo, can result in half the transfer speed of remaining USB ports. And you could get USB packets lag, if there are many USB devices communicating with MoBo at once. Other than that, there's no other issues.

Commander Core XT working through several adapters, while sharing it's connection with something else - is another thing to think about. It may not work, but without testing, it's unknown.

Solution
Nov 23, 2021
Hey thanks for the links. The splitter I had indeed seen, and the adapter I had seen others, but not that specific one.

There is a separate jack on the mobo labeled as front audio. Early morning lizard brain didn't computer it referring to those two ports.

Honestly, if I play around with it and figure out which 3.0 supports which usb ports on the front panel I may just live with it that way and go without the splitter.

Gonna purchase and see where it goes.

Nov 23, 2021
So I just wanted to follow up on this. I had to reorder the cable as I wasn't paying attention and got the wrong male/female combo. Once the new part came in and was put in place the Commander Core XT is being recognized without issue. Thanks again for the suggestions!