Question 3.0 ports only work with 2.0 devices

Jun 27, 2022
Hello i was using my 3.0 port the other day with my external hard drive and it suddently just disconnected from my system.
When i tried to reconnect it to my system it wouldnt connect.
The only way it works is if i plug it into either my front 3.0 ports or the 2.0 ports on the back.
I have tried other 3.0 devices and none of them work in the 3.0 ports that are on the back of the computer anymore.
I have plugged in a 2.0 device into the 3.0 ports on the back and that works perfectly
I have had problems with the 3.0 ports before but they randomly started to work again after but now they seem to have broken again.

My Motherboard is a ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 Pro if that is needed
USB 3.0 driver is upto date aswell

I was wondering if anyone knew what is wrong with my computer and/or how to troubleshoot this. Let me know if more infomation is needed

Hello i was using my 3.0 port the other day with my external hard drive and it suddently just disconnected from my system.
When i tried to reconnect it to my system it wouldnt connect.
The only way it works is if i plug it into either my front 3.0 ports or the 2.0 ports on the back.
I have tried other 3.0 devices and none of them work in the 3.0 ports that are on the back of the computer anymore.
I have plugged in a 2.0 device into the 3.0 ports on the back and that works perfectly
I have had problems with the 3.0 ports before but they randomly started to work again after but now they seem to have broken again.

My Motherboard is a ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 Pro if that is needed
USB 3.0 driver is upto date aswell

I was wondering if anyone knew what is wrong with my computer and/or how to troubleshoot this. Let me know if more infomation is needed
What kind of external drive is this; does it have its own power supply or is it depending on the usb port for power? Given the age of the motherboard it may no longer be capable of providing the power necessary for an external drive or all of its usb ports. Or it could indicate a problem with your computer's power supply; how old is that?

Jun 27, 2022
What kind of external drive is this; does it have its own power supply or is it depending on the usb port for power? Given the age of the motherboard it may no longer be capable of providing the power necessary for an external drive or all of its usb ports. Or it could indicate a problem with your computer's power supply; how old is that?
it has its own power supply, but like i said in the post above no usb 3.0 devices work in it

and the entire computer is over 12 years old but ive had no problems with other things in it so its still good