3.4 for 478 P4P800 Deluxe?

dick

Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

Even if it works it will be a waste of money really as it is only a slight
improvement, why not just overclock a little.

"Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
> site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
> either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

nbk

Pete D wrote:
> Even if it works it will be a waste of money really as it is only a slight
> improvement, why not just overclock a little.
>
> "Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
>>site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
>>either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

Hi

I have an Intel 3.4e proc that works fine...

NBK

TK

Went from 3.06 HT 533 FSB to 3.2E 800 FSB and am happy
with the upgrade. Remember if you go with the Prescott it has
1 meg L2 cache and better HT than your 2.8 so I believe you
will benefit. Is the benefit worth the $$ ? was here, doin video editng
it was a nice boost :)

"Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
> site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
> either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

If you were to "upgrade" to the 3.4 GHz you would only increase the speed of
your system by 18%. This is NOT an observable difference for all intents
and purposes.

--
DaveW

"Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
> site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
> either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

I am running my 2.8 Gig Northwood at 3.1 anyway and it runs fine and costs
nothing.

> If you were to "upgrade" to the 3.4 GHz you would only increase the speed
> of your system by 18%. This is NOT an observable difference for all
> intents and purposes.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
>> site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
>> either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

18% is awesome...! but not at a ridiculous price point. How does a
ratio of $20 per % increase sound...? The northwood may already be
able to come very close to that speed without any major investment, as
the P4-3.4's are still pretty expensive...I think the price/percentage
ration is still too much for not enough...

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:23:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>If you were to "upgrade" to the 3.4 GHz you would only increase the speed of
>your system by 18%. This is NOT an observable difference for all intents
>and purposes.

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

TK

3.4's are still high but 3.2E's are cheap and it WOULD be worth it
IF he does alot of highend video editing plus the Prescotts deeper
pipeline will be and advantage as programs get written to take
advantage of it.

Why are people in general so zealous about talking others out of
upgrading? Maybe they don't want you to have a faster system than theirs?

"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
> 18% is awesome...! but not at a ridiculous price point. How does a
> ratio of $20 per % increase sound...? The northwood may already be
> able to come very close to that speed without any major investment, as
> the P4-3.4's are still pretty expensive...I think the price/percentage
> ration is still too much for not enough...
>
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:23:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>
>>If you were to "upgrade" to the 3.4 GHz you would only increase the speed
>>of
>>your system by 18%. This is NOT an observable difference for all intents
>>and purposes.
>

> ñíñjà¤têç
>
> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

if you learn to read, the original poster is quoting a 3.4 cpu...
fyi

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:23:23 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:

>3.4's are still high but 3.2E's are cheap and it WOULD be worth it
>IF he does alot of highend video editing plus the Prescotts deeper
>pipeline will be and advantage as programs get written to take
>advantage of it.
>
>Why are people in general so zealous about talking others out of
>upgrading? Maybe they don't want you to have a faster system than theirs?
>
>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
>> 18% is awesome...! but not at a ridiculous price point. How does a
>> ratio of $20 per % increase sound...? The northwood may already be
>> able to come very close to that speed without any major investment, as
>> the P4-3.4's are still pretty expensive...I think the price/percentage
>> ration is still too much for not enough...
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:23:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>>
>>>If you were to "upgrade" to the 3.4 GHz you would only increase the speed
>>>of
>>>your system by 18%. This is NOT an observable difference for all intents
>>>and purposes.
>>

>> ñíñjà¤têç
>>
>> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

dick

Well I went ahead and bought a Northwood 3.2 to replace my Northwod 2.8. I
paid $240 for the 3.2. I went with the Northwood over the Prescott core
because of the reviews I read on the net about the speed being better with
the Norhwood and it running cooler. The Prescott's temp + no notable
improvement in performance (it is also less expensive) pushed me to the
Northwood core.

I recently moved this system to a 250 gig SATA for the C: and a WD Raptor
(74gig) for the F: drive (which I use for gaming). My hope is that the 3.2
NW + the 10k SATA coupled with my 6600GT AGP VC and the 1 gig Crucial memory
will make the machine solid for another 1-2 years before I move to an FX-55.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:15:26 -0800, "Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Well I went ahead and bought a Northwood 3.2 to replace my Northwod 2.8. I
>paid $240 for the 3.2. I went with the Northwood over the Prescott core
>because of the reviews I read on the net about the speed being better with
>the Norhwood and it running cooler. The Prescott's temp + no notable
>improvement in performance (it is also less expensive) pushed me to the
>Northwood core.
>
>I recently moved this system to a 250 gig SATA for the C: and a WD Raptor
>(74gig) for the F: drive (which I use for gaming). My hope is that the 3.2
>NW + the 10k SATA coupled with my 6600GT AGP VC and the 1 gig Crucial memory
>will make the machine solid for another 1-2 years before I move to an FX-55.
>

>"tk" <tk@home.com> wrote in message news:41cf9996$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>> Went from 3.06 HT 533 FSB to 3.2E 800 FSB and am happy
>> with the upgrade. Remember if you go with the Prescott it has
>> 1 meg L2 cache and better HT than your 2.8 so I believe you
>> will benefit. Is the benefit worth the $$ ? was here, doin video editng
>> it was a nice boost :)
>>
>> "Dick" <rylanderbd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Anyone running a 3.4 478 pin on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? The manual and web
>>> site say 3.2+. Currently have a 2.8 HT and was thinking of bumping it to
>>> either a 3.2 or 3.4. Thouhgts?

I'm running a 3.4 Northwood @ 3.9+on an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
FSB is 230 and the rig is hella fast and stable.
Oh Ya...cooled by Koolance!

PT

Founding Member A.A.O.A

TK

He said 3.2 or 3.4 if you're gonna make a point
at least know WTF you're talking about.

> if you learn to read, the original poster is quoting a 3.4 cpu...
> fyi
>
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:23:23 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>3.4's are still high but 3.2E's are cheap and it WOULD be worth it
>>IF he does alot of highend video editing plus the Prescotts deeper
>>pipeline will be and advantage as programs get written to take
>>advantage of it.
>>
>>Why are people in general so zealous about talking others out of
>>upgrading? Maybe they don't want you to have a faster system than theirs?
>>
>>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> 18% is awesome...! but not at a ridiculous price point. How does a
>>> ratio of $20 per % increase sound...? The northwood may already be
>>> able to come very close to that speed without any major investment, as
>>> the P4-3.4's are still pretty expensive...I think the price/percentage
>>> ration is still too much for not enough...

>>> ñíñjà¤têç
>>>
>>> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----
>>

> ñíñjà¤têç
>
> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

sorry tk, I stand corrected. I am, however, not zealous but simply
stating faq's.
Benchmarks have indicated some potential increase in performance with
particular applications in regards to the prescott. Other tests have
the northwood on par or better. Is going from the 2.8 northwood to a
3.2 northwood worth it? Considering that the 2.8 may be able to hit
that speed anyway's? The 3.2 prescott would probably be the better
choice if the user: a)-doesn't overclock and: b)-uses software that
will utilize that fat cache. If this was a gamer, I would suggest to
o/c this current chip and dump that extra money into a new video
card.

***This message was written without emotional prejudice
and is for the sole discretion of perceived technical data***

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:36:19 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:

>He said 3.2 or 3.4 if you're gonna make a point
>at least know WTF you're talking about.
>
>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
>> if you learn to read, the original poster is quoting a 3.4 cpu...
>> fyi
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:23:23 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>3.4's are still high but 3.2E's are cheap and it WOULD be worth it
>>>IF he does alot of highend video editing plus the Prescotts deeper
>>>pipeline will be and advantage as programs get written to take
>>>advantage of it.
>>>
>>>Why are people in general so zealous about talking others out of
>>>upgrading? Maybe they don't want you to have a faster system than theirs?
>>>
>>>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message

>> ñíñjà¤têç
>>
>> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

TK

I understand, I never buy fastest. I was thinking in future terms programs
will be compiled to take advantage of the extra pipeline depth. I'm running
my 3.2 @ 3.51 with no fancy cooling here and it is sooo much nicer doing
video work now as compared to the 3.06HT 533FSB @ 3.2. I know the
800 FSB is part of it, 16k L1 and 1 Meg L2 help and the improved HT.

I guess it come down to priorities ;-) I thought mine was worth it but I'm
going to get a tooth extracted rather than a root canal too LOL.

> sorry tk, I stand corrected. I am, however, not zealous but simply
> stating faq's.
> Benchmarks have indicated some potential increase in performance with
> particular applications in regards to the prescott. Other tests have
> the northwood on par or better. Is going from the 2.8 northwood to a
> 3.2 northwood worth it? Considering that the 2.8 may be able to hit
> that speed anyway's? The 3.2 prescott would probably be the better
> choice if the user: a)-doesn't overclock and: b)-uses software that
> will utilize that fat cache. If this was a gamer, I would suggest to
> o/c this current chip and dump that extra money into a new video
> card.
>

> ***This message was written without emotional prejudice
> and is for the sole discretion of perceived technical data***
>

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:36:19 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>He said 3.2 or 3.4 if you're gonna make a point
>>at least know WTF you're talking about.
>>
>>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> if you learn to read, the original poster is quoting a 3.4 cpu...
>>> fyi

>>> ñíñjà¤têç
>>>
>>> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

I agree