3.46 extreme gallatin question

jay_m69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I bought one of the 3.46 extreme cpus on ebay for a killer deal and had trouble getting it to boot. I have a Fatal1ty aaxe mainboard and when I installed the cpu I had a no boot situation. I ended up sending the cpu to intel to have it checked and they told me that the chip tested great and that it had to be my mainboard. So I bought another Fatal1ty aaxe and had the same problem. Then I bought an asus....same problem. Now everything that I have read is that the 925xe is the proper chipset to use for this cpu but I have had nothing but problems trying to get this cpu to work. I know all the mainboards are good because I installed a 3.2 presscott in all of them and they worked fine. Am I missing something here? I had all settings in the bios correct, have the latest bios's installed on all the boards and have tried 3 different kinds of ram, ddr2 533 kingston value, ddr2 533 corsair value, and my good stuff ddr2 667 ozc. Are there any other chipsets that run the Gallatin 3.46 Extreme cpu other than the 925XE? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want a high dollar paperweight in this cpu :? Thanks for your time everyone.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I bought one of the 3.46 extreme cpus on ebay for a killer deal and had trouble getting it to boot. I have a Fatal1ty aaxe mainboard and when I installed the cpu I had a no boot situation. I ended up sending the cpu to intel to have it checked and they told me that the chip tested great and that it had to be my mainboard. So I bought another Fatal1ty aaxe and had the same problem. Then I bought an asus....same problem. Now everything that I have read is that the 925xe is the proper chipset to use for this cpu but I have had nothing but problems trying to get this cpu to work. I know all the mainboards are good because I installed a 3.2 presscott in all of them and they worked fine. Am I missing something here? I had all settings in the bios correct, have the latest bios's installed on all the boards and have tried 3 different kinds of ram, ddr2 533 kingston value, ddr2 533 corsair value, and my good stuff ddr2 667 ozc. Are there any other chipsets that run the Gallatin 3.46 Extreme cpu other than the 925XE? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want a high dollar paperweight in this cpu :? Thanks for your time everyone.

Here's Intel's list of chipsets for the 3.46GHz P4.

Intel® 975X Express, 925XE Express, 925X Express

Pretty-much what you said. GL :)

jay_m69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I want to thankyou for the time you invested in answering my question. I dug around on Intels site and could not find the page that you sent to me and I dug for about a half an hour. I also googled it and found alot of articles but nothing that showed me the info that you found. Sir or madam, Thankyou again for your time and I hope that you recieve the same respect that you showed me if you ever need help. Thankyou.

jay_m69
Joseph Mariotti

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I want to thankyou for the time you invested in answering my question. I dug around on Intels site and could not find the page that you sent to me and I dug for about a half an hour. I also googled it and found alot of articles but nothing that showed me the info that you found. Sir or madam, Thankyou again for your time and I hope that you recieve the same respect that you showed me if you ever need help. Thankyou.

jay_m69
Joseph Mariotti
You're quite welcome. :D