[SOLVED] 3.4GHz cpu in bios windows 10 says 1.01GHz

Hey guys so i think this maybe a new one for a lot of people. My brothers pc has my old phenom ii 965 BE 3.4GHz is registering 3.4ghz in bios... However windows 10 is reading 1.01GHz and running super super super slow compared to his old 2.2Ghz cpu

He has my old phenom ii 965 be
Ga-ma785g-ud3h rev 1.0
R7 250
Wifi card
3 hdd = 500gb each
Optical drive
750w psu
19:14 led viewsonic. Monitor
22:20 dell monitor
Headphones
Original port keyboard
And usb mouse
8gb ddr2 600mhz and 800 mhz set to 400 mhz in bios

Last edited:
Solution
His mobo was dying and unable to provide proper watts he has now been upgraded to a new mobo with a new cpu. Fx-4300 or 50 i can't remember. But his problem is fixed i gave him another one of my old builds kept the 960ti that was in it he can keep his r7 250 it does what he needs
Did you check the frequency while the PC was under some sort of load. 1GHz is likely the idle speed, which would be perfectly normal.

All else fails, set the power profile to "performance" instead of "balanced" which should prevent the CPU from going down to idle frequency.

Also might be a good idea to download HWMonitor to monitor temps and frequencies.

That GPU is horrendously slow. This system isn't being used for gaming, is it?

In my experience, RAM settings in BIOS typically is the effective speed (DDR2-800 would read 800MHz in BIOS) so not sure why you're not at least running at DDR2-600 which would match the slower kit.

Did you check the frequency while the PC was under some sort of load. 1GHz is likely the idle speed, which would be perfectly normal.

All else fails, set the power profile to "performance" instead of "balanced" which should prevent the CPU from going down to idle frequency.

Also might be a good idea to download HWMonitor to monitor temps and frequencies.

That GPU is horrendously slow. This system isn't being used for gaming, is it?

In my experience, RAM settings in BIOS typically is the effective speed (DDR2-800 would read 800MHz in BIOS) so not sure why you're not at least running at DDR2-600 which would match the slower kit.
We have core temp installed on it and under load it stays at 1.01 ghz and temping at 56c and has never hit above 56c in it's life has been liquid cooled it's whole life with fresh thermal paste every 6 months no matter what i always every pc replace thermal paste every 6 months on every pc i own. I have pulled from his pc and put back in my older build runs fine cleared his bios and reinstalled the cpu still same problem. And ram is set lower cause there none over clockable. And the cpu is slightly oc'd however even set to basic bios still reads wrong in windows

His mobo was dying and unable to provide proper watts he has now been upgraded to a new mobo with a new cpu. Fx-4300 or 50 i can't remember. But his problem is fixed i gave him another one of my old builds kept the 960ti that was in it he can keep his r7 250 it does what he needs

Solution
Ooph. "Upgraded" is a strong word for what transpired here....

I hope no money was spent on the FX4300/FX4350 and mobo replacement.
Again it was one of my old build's and i don't know what your talking about yes it would have been worth money... It's a massive upgrade, a cpu that couldn't hold steady at 30fps low settings on csgo, to now 130fps even on high with virtualization for apex to now.... Yes it's a updgrade for him, however no money was spent it's one of my old build that i have about 18 still laying around he just get's my oldest one because he doan't take care of any of his crap. So im not giving him a $2000 pc to kill