Question 3.5" Hard Disks can they withstand mishandling?

chribonn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2015
Hello,

Amazon horribly packaged 5 x 3.5" hard disk. The disk were only in their anti static wrapping and the 5 units were not taped together. They were packaged in a box without any lateral protection.

In transit the packaging tore and fell apart only holding together with the tape. 2 of the 5 fell out.
Amazon agreed to refund he 2 missing disks. Should I return the other 3?

I didn't open the antistatic packaging and could not test them.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
You could plug the drives in but they will eventually fail given how you've mentioned they were thrown across field, dragged behind a bus and then boiled in lava - in the literal sense. I'd refund all of them...or get them replaced for manhandling. You could include images to corroborate the damage you've witnessed.

chribonn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2015
You could plug the drives in but they will eventually fail given how you've mentioned they were thrown across field, dragged behind a bus and then boiled in lava - in the literal sense. I'd refund all of them...or get them replaced for manhandling. You could include images to corroborate the damage you've witnessed.

Below are a few photos I took the moment I picked them up from the DHL locker.

k7lr0ER.jpg

MzEnAjC.jpg

mT537t7.jpg

MOAoKQB.jpg

Last edited:

chribonn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2015
Why is that an issue?
Amazon will not take them back once they are opened?

You should probably mask personal information - like delivery address in those photos.

Not sure as this is my first incident with Amazon. If I SMART test them and they report that the errors are within tolerance can I return?

USAFRet

Titan
Generally, HDDs are designed to withstand a 250-350g shock @2ms when OFF.
This, from WD:
https://documents.westerndigital.co...-sheet-wd-blue-pc-hard-drives-2879-771436.pdf

Now...how that relates to the drives YOU have?
Completely unknown.

Amazon is pretty good about returns. They pretty much take back anything in the first 30 days, no reason needed.

Test them.
If they work, great.
If they don't, or show ANYTHING off 100%, send it back.

Not sure as this is my first incident with Amazon. If I SMART test them and they report that the errors are within tolerance can I return?
There do not seem to be any markings on the packaging, that contents are fragile.
If so, then you can assume, the package has been tossed around/dropped without any consideration.

You'd have to do full surface scan for all drives. Checking SMART is not enough there.
But yes - considering state of the packaging, most likely drives are damaged/dead.
Still - I'd suggest testing them first before returning.

chribonn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2015
Photos edited - thanks

I need to clarify this with Amazon Italy. Normally I buy from Amazon Germany without problems.

I first raised the issue with them on Dec 23 and after multiple promises that they would get back to me soon and me chasing them, daily for a resolution they agreed to refund the missing units today.

I can't imagine the level of service if I ask for a replacement after they units have been opened.

I bought from Amazon Italy simply because Amazon Germany didn't have a seller who would sell me 5 units. My advise to anyone, stay away from Amazon Italy.

My personal take on this - If I not have an urgent need for those drives, I'd return the whole package.

You can never know how much force those hard drives was exposed to. The remaining hard drives are probably good, but there is no way to tell if a very hard external force could led to potential reduced lifetime.

chribonn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2015
Hello,

I want to share that the 3 hard disks are on their way back to Amazon.

One of the drives was in a crashed state (according to the Synology NAS).

Their journey was, sadly a troubled and arduous one it turns out.

Thanks everyone.