Question 3.5-inch SATA HDD not recognized on new build ?

JayTeeEich

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
So I recently built my son a system:

Case: NZXT H510
MOBO: MSI mag b550 tomahawk
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe gen4 1tb
Cooler: cooler master hyper212 rgb black edition
GPU: power color hellhound amd Radeon Rx 6700XT
HDD: western digital 4tb SATA

And so far everything is running ok after numerous updates, installs and restarts, all except the 4tb HDD. I can see it in the BIOS, but it's 0/0 for space and says "disabled" in the far right column. AHCI is enabled vs RAID. And there are 2 drives showing up in device manager, but no driver update is found for either, though the NVMe one is working fine anyway. I've read other things about this configuration of storage drives not working on B550 mobos, but can that really be true, or is there a way to make it work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I have 1 more system to build for my other son (slightly different components including motherboard) but the storage drives are exactly the same and hope to figure this one out before we start build #2.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any advice and support is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

So I recently built my son a system:

Case: NZXT H510
MOBO: MSI mag b550 tomahawk
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe gen4 1tb
Cooler: cooler master hyper212 rgb black edition
GPU: power color hellhound amd Radeon Rx 6700XT
HDD: western digital 4tb SATA

And so far everything is running ok after numerous updates, installs and restarts, all except the 4tb HDD. I can see it in the BIOS, but it's 0/0 for space and says "disabled" in the far right column. AHCI is enabled vs RAID. And there are 2 drives showing up in device manager, but no driver update is found for either, though the NVMe one is working fine anyway. I've read other things about this configuration of storage drives not working on B550 mobos, but can that really be true, or is there a way to make it work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I have 1 more system to build for my other son (slightly different components including motherboard) but the storage drives are exactly the same and hope to figure this one out before we start build #2.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any advice and support is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Have you tried connecting that HDD to another SATA port ? It's possible as it's a case with many MBs that M'.2 installation disables one or 2 SATA ports.

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
check cable, obviously

(i'm confused how your booting - are you booting from USB or SDD? does your motherboard support SDD and SATA both simultaneously? are you sure? some older ones didn't)

AHCI is enabled vs RAID in "device manager"? obviously see if you can click on "enable device" in device manager.

if this is a RAID question: ask on microsoft.com, not on a hardware forum

RAID are full of practically unsolvable problems. (ie google "raid failure linux" you'll get 10 million hits or something)

I can see it in the BIOS, but it's 0/0 for space and says "disabled" in the far right column.
Show screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
AHCI is enabled vs RAID.
Show screenshot.
And there are 2 drives showing up in device manager
Show screenshot - from Device manager (disk drives and storage controllers expanded),
from Disk Management,
from Windows Storage Spaces (Control Panel/Storage Spaces).

JayTeeEich

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Have you tried connecting that HDD to another SATA port ? It's possible as it's a case with many MBs that M'.2 installation disables one or 2 SATA ports.
This one I actually did try. Went from. SATA port 4 to SATA port 2 (I think) same situation. Maybe I shoulda tried to one that's not on the 4port block, but I can try that later this week.

JayTeeEich

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Show screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Show screenshot.

Show screenshot - from Device manager (disk drives and storage controllers expanded),
from Disk Management,
from Windows Storage Spaces (Control Panel/Storage Spaces).

Device Manager screenshot- View: https://imgur.com/a/vTB6pYc

BIOS screenshot -
View: https://imgur.com/a/1c07JIa

AHCI vs RAID setting in bios-
View: https://imgur.com/a/3mtqM1c

JayTeeEich

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Do not create storage pool.
Just show, if storage pool has already been created.
If it is created, then it needs to be deleted.

And show screenshot from Disk Management.
Ok so storage pool was not created,there was nothing there.
I changed the SATA cable, and the ports (according to the manual, SATA ports are not disabled when using the m.2 slot.
And disk management shows the following
View: https://imgur.com/a/ifFty0H

And after clicking initialize disk...
View: https://imgur.com/a/SEHKjab

Couldn't initialize due to an I/O error. Sorry for the camera shots, I know that's not the preferred way to do it, but in the moment it's easier, not my PC so I'm not logged in to all my accounts on it. Hopefully this sheds some light on the issue

JayTeeEich

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
4TB drive is dead.
That was my thoughts after swapping cable and ports yesterday. I have another system assembling this weekend, same drive, gonna see what happens with that one and send one or both back. Thanks everyone for your help with this matter! (I'll keep thread open until new drive gets here and tested for functionality, then close it.)

Last edited: