Question 3.5 Slot GPU and Rear expansion Slots

Stuffz121

Honorable
Dec 15, 2016
Hello,
I recently bought an ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC Edition GPU which is a 3.5 slot card. I installed it in my PC and removed 3 rear expansion slots in the back of my PC. This may be a silly question but since the card is a “3.5 slot” card, then does that mean I should have 4 rear expansion slots in the back open or is 3 just fine?

The metal bracket right next to the GPU on the back is touching a little with the card but I’m not sure if that’s perfectly fine or not. I added pictures just to show what I mean.

I also hoped for some clarification on the two PWM FanConnect headers that are attached to the side of the GPU. There’s no mention of them in the manual and they are only described online on ASUS’s website that chasis fans can be connected directly to the card for extra intake or exhaust. Does this mean I also need to connect these two fan headers or is it just fine to leave them disconnected? Would the GPU provide alternate power then for the fans?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

View: https://imgur.com/a/TsERzxp

Anyplace the I/O portion of the graphics card is mated to the rear I/O section of the case, you should have the I/O slot covers removed from those slots. Anyplace where the card does not mate with the PCIe I/O slots, it doesn't matter.

Being a "four slot card" simply means that is how wide it is and generally means you will lose the use of four PCIe slots. It doesn't mean that you need to remove all of the slot covers unless the card actually butts up against the case there.

Or, on blower style cards, anyplace there is an exhaust vent that would be restricted if it wasn't removed.

Reactions: Stuffz121