3.5 wont work but USB works

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello, i have been having a problem with my Logitech G430 headset.
my headset came with a USB to 3.5, The headset has your standard 2, 3.5 connectors. One for Headset and one for the mic. and they both plug into the 3.5 to USB adapter, when the headset uses the 3.5 to USB adapter the MIC and Headset works, but i dont want to use the adapter because the audio is crappy on USB. i want to use the 3.5 jacks, but when i plug the two 3.5 connecters into the front of my PC, only the headset works, and the mic does not. Also when i use the 3.5 the headset overides my speakers. and my speakers dont play sound, i want to be able to talk to people and hear people talk though my headset and be able to listen to music though my speakers like youtube or something, but it does not work. and i dont know how to fix it. Also when i go into playback devices, my headset no longer shows up when i use 3.5 only my speakers show up. and when i go into the Logitech Gaming software it does not detect my headset, even tho the headset still plays sound perfectly fine.

Solution
you are not going to see your headset listed as a headset in playback devices when it is plugged in using a 3.5mm jack. it'll just be recognized the same way as any headphones as a device that is plugged into the standard high definition audio output. go to the recording tab and see if the microphone jack is populated the same way as a generic input device. because it's analog there is not information that will be representative of the device that is plugged in. you only get that kind of info if it's digital through USB.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it's possible that the front panel connection for the Mic input is bad. try using the connection at the back of the PC. if it works there then it's the front panel but if not then something else is afoot.

as for separating sound, if both your headset and speakers are connecting using a standard 3.5mm jack then the PC is only going to recognize that then as the same device since it only recognizes that there is something plugged into the jack and since it's analog it won't recognize it as a separate device like it could if it was a digital connection. So the only way to get separate audio is to use the USB adapter.

It's also possible that when you plug the mic cord into the mic input on the front panel, that windows isn't automatically recognizing and enabling said device and you should make your way to the sound settings in control panel to manually enable it and set it as the default input device.

You could plug the adapter into the back of the PC and plug your speakers into the adapter and then set that as the main default desktop audio output and that would give you music and then in whatever software you are using for chat you can go into the settings and set the audio output for that to the headphone jack audio for your headset.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
when i go to playback devices the headset does not even show up, and i know the port works because the headset plays sound perfectly fine. when i go to playback devices the only thing that shows is Speakers even when i click how disabled devices, their is no headset in play back devices.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you are not going to see your headset listed as a headset in playback devices when it is plugged in using a 3.5mm jack. it'll just be recognized the same way as any headphones as a device that is plugged into the standard high definition audio output. go to the recording tab and see if the microphone jack is populated the same way as a generic input device. because it's analog there is not information that will be representative of the device that is plugged in. you only get that kind of info if it's digital through USB.

Solution