News $3,699 audiophile media server is powered by a standard NUC with a mystery CPU — you still have to buy your own storage, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
By the time people can afford these things, they are half deaf anyway. But they'll never admit they can't tell a high-end system from a commodity car radio, because that would by like saying they can impregnate 10 virgins in a row any more.

They pay for an illusion and they get their money's worth.

The rest of us just wants to have that kind of money to spend it on something more sensible like a quad RTX 5090 rig...

...which makes just as much sense, especially if modern computer games and juvenile opponents overwhelm your ability to react and always have you killed within a second of starting a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick_C

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I cannot recall the branding but within the last few (ish) years there was another mention of a 'high end audiophile' system that was completely fanless and the entire case was the heat sink at some similarly eye-watering price.

Looks at one of my $100 builds and $25 refurb headsets.....yup. Fine.

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
White paper for the device. It doesn't get into too much detail, but mentions modern Intel CPUs and at least 4GB of RAM plus a 64GB SSD for OS use.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...VQPJV___nuQ/edit?pli=1#heading=h.aufgjiao1xj5
not even list the dB, Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), the impedance, frequency, is the DAC 24 or 32 bits?
I'm not even an audiophile but always checks these values.
Sounds (pun intended) selling this overpriced thing and buying yourself is a good way to clean dirty money.

If you poured this much scorn on nvidia or apple pricing, maybe it would help millions of people.

I mean, it's no worse than apple vision price, or the annihilation of realistically priced GPU's

Nov 3, 2023
If you poured this much scorn on nvidia or apple pricing, maybe it would help millions of people.

I mean, it's no worse than apple vision price, or the annihilation of realistically priced GPU's

writer here- I'm regularly critical of poor-value pricing, actually! I only run a 3060 Ti in my own PC.

but the issue here isn't just a high price tag. it's full obfuscation of the actual specifications consumers are paying for for no good reason. at least NV, Intel, and the rest give us actual spec sheets before expecting us to pay them.

Status
Not open for further replies.