[SOLVED] 3.6Ghz of pure trash?

Jan 11, 2020
Morning ladies and gents,

My PC is out of action at the moment and I am having to use a store bought PC from around 5 years ago. The processor is an "AMD A10-8750 Radeon R7, 12 Core 4C + 8G" rated at 3.6Ghz (with a GT 1030 and 8GB RAM). Now I really don't have any in depth knowledge in regards to how these things are built, materials used and how that affects performance. But from what I know a 3.6Ghz processor should be able to produce 60FPS when gaming on the lowest settings available? Windows settings have also been tweaked to enhance performance...

I can't seem to get anywhere over 30/35fps making most games unplayable.

Does anyone know why this would be? Is the processor catfishing me?!

Any help appreciated :)

Solution
Those AMD cpus are good for light office work, watching youtube, etc. I actually played some games with it, and with no aditional GPU, like Ori and the Blind Forest, and the game played without issues.

But yeah the GT 1030 is a really crappy GPU for gaming, also those 8GB of RAM are like 1 stick of 8 GB of 2x4GB in dual channel ?

What game do you intent to play and get 60 FPS with that config?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Morning ladies and gents,

My PC is out of action at the moment and I am having to use a store bought PC from around 5 years ago. The processor is an "AMD A10-8750 Radeon R7, 12 Core 4C + 8G" rated at 3.6Ghz (with a GT 1030 and 8GB RAM). Now I really don't have any in depth knowledge in regards to how these things are built, materials used and how that affects performance. But from what I know a 3.6Ghz processor should be able to produce 60FPS when gaming on the lowest settings available? Windows settings have also been tweaked to enhance performance...

I can't seem to get anywhere over 30/35fps making most games unplayable.

Does anyone know why this would be? Is the processor catfishing me?!

Any help appreciated :)

First things first, the A10-8750 is a 4 Core / 4 Thread processor. It's also a "budget" affair with little L2 cache and no L3 cache. It's not a processor that I would use for gaming. Even a Ryzen 3 3200G would outperform it and that's pretty much the entry level Ryzen.

3.6ghz is not that high, especially when its coupled with a chip design that was rather poor when it came out many years ago. Your cpu was never designed for gaming.

Also a gt1030 isnt really a gaming card either. It can run older titles but nothing new and demanding without dropping settings a lot.

Those AMD cpus are good for light office work, watching youtube, etc. I actually played some games with it, and with no aditional GPU, like Ori and the Blind Forest, and the game played without issues.

But yeah the GT 1030 is a really crappy GPU for gaming, also those 8GB of RAM are like 1 stick of 8 GB of 2x4GB in dual channel ?

What game do you intent to play and get 60 FPS with that config?

Last edited:
Solution

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I played forza 4 on a amd a10 5800b and it got 60fps most of the time there was some stutter here and there so those cpus CAN do something they just aren’t the best. If possible see if you can get the clock speed a bit higher and maybe a gtx 1050 ti or something

Reactions: RodroX
Do you have the display cable (coming from the monitor) plugged into the GT1030 or one of the display ports in the IO cluster of the motherboard? The IO cluster is the rectangle shape cutout in the back with all the USB ports on it. The GT1030 sits below that.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

What games are you playing? What in-game graphics quality settings are you using in those games?

And yes, GHz isn't everything, and neither is "I have a graphics card"

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
Also lets be honest. 5 years ago is a LOT of time considering as computer industry advances and requirements do too. Also the A10 with a 1030 (5 years ago?) is at best considered a budget build mainly for common tasks and some lighter gaming aka League of Legends within reasonable, aka low, settings and a max resolution of 1366x768. Anything more and its going to be a lagfest, slideshow quality with frustration guarantee.

logainofhades

Titan
Also lets be honest. 5 years ago is a LOT of time considering as computer industry advances and requirements do too. Also the A10 with a 1030 (5 years ago?) is at best considered a budget build mainly for common tasks and some lighter gaming aka League of Legends within reasonable, aka low, settings and a max resolution of 1366x768. Anything more and its going to be a lagfest, slideshow quality with frustration guarantee.

LoL can run on a toaster. Their system should have little issue with LoL. A GT 1030, going by the hierachy chart, is roughly in the same class, of performance, as an HD 7770.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

fcb62SfzZwJ6ub6HbyusNm-650-80.png

DqkzSk7yPPR72YqKun3W6N-650-80.png

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
LoL can run on a toaster. Their system should have little issue with LoL. A GT 1030, going by the hierachy chart, is roughly in the same class, of performance, as an HD 7770.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

fcb62SfzZwJ6ub6HbyusNm-650-80.png

DqkzSk7yPPR72YqKun3W6N-650-80.png

Wich is most likely the developer intent. Once u got a decent frame per seconds you can work your way up in settings. Who knows how far a toaster can go.

Edit: Also was a poor example of a game to mention since it can run on just about on everything most of the time , but the core idea is there. Lets Try Metro Exodus next on 4k 144Mhz monitor on Max Settings and see if we actually break the 1fps or the toaster first. Whatever comes first.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
GHz is not the be-all and end all. A 3.6GHz CPU from a much older design cannot compete with a 3.6GHz CPU of current, modern design like the Ryzen.

DDR4 RAM that's used on modern systems is faster than the DDR3 used on the older AM3/AM3+/FM2+/FM3/etc platform.

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
I had a a10 5800k at 5ghz it actually wasn’t bad I was able to play basicly anything I want with my gtx 960 at 1.6ghz lol

a gtx 960 is in the middle on midrange gaming cards not on the higher ass end on entry cards xD. And yes, serious gaming with an 1030 will fail. Just work the settings with some headroom in mind while keeping resolution and quicks to a tolerable level.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
a gtx 960 is in the middle on midrange gaming cards not on the higher ass end on entry cards xD. And yes, serious gaming with an 1030 will fail. Just work the settings with some headroom in mind while keeping resolution and quicks to a tolerable level.
Well the thread is about the cpu mainly I’m just saying the cpu has more potential than most think not that I’m saying it’s a great cpu