3 Antenna Ports Wifi Card & 1 Yagi Wifi Antenna

fadidesign8

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Hi
I have an intel Centrino N6300 AGN wifi card with 3 Antenna ports and 1 Yagi type Wifi Antenna.

What should I do? connect 1 port to the card and leave the others port empty or connect the Yagi and keep the other antennas connected?

Solution
It will likely only use the yagi antenna and ignore the other ones. It also depends on the types of antenna on the remote end and how far away it is.
I would assume your goal is to go distance if you have connected a yagi. Pretty much the remote end will only see the signal from the yagi and that will be used.

Now if you were very close it might still be able to use all 3 antenna.

What you have basically done is coverted a 3x3 mimo device into a 1x1 device. This will use the 150mbs encoding rather than the 450mbps. That does not mean though you actually get 300mbps less since you do not get anywhere near 150m or 450m in the first place. This is mostly a theoretical number based on how the data is placed into the signal.

A note you can not run 3 yagi and make the mimo work. You might get 2 to work by mounting them at 90 degrees but you are better off with antenna prebuilt with that configuration.

fadidesign8

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

I will rephrase my question; if I use 1 yagi and keep the other 2 will my signal grow from 2/5 to 3/5 or 4/5?
Sure I am not getting 150 mbps and not interested in getting over 50 mbps