3 Beep POST code when trying to OC RAM.

DMorrison

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
I am using a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K3 mobo with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU and G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR RAM. Also an Nvidia GTX1080Ti if that matters.

While trying to OC through the BIOS, of which I have the latest version (F10), I set the RAM to 3200 MHz, and manually set the timings to 16-18-18-38, as well as adjusted the RAM voltage to 1.350V, and hit save and exit. My PC then gives the 3 long beep POST code, and shuts off. It does this a couple of times, then gives a single beep, and boots to Windows 10. Using CPU-Z it appears that the RAM resets itself once booted to 2133MHz and 15-15-15-36 timings and standard 1.2V.

Whenever I enter BIOS it says that my settings that I set haven't changed(Still at manually OCd values) so I am assuming that the RAM is being reverted automatically during startup so the PC can boot. When I go into BIOS and reset everything to standard settings, the computer starts immediately, no POST code.

However, when I go into BIOS and MANUALLY set the speed to the STANDARD 2133MHz I get the 3 long beep POST code again, and it continues to turn on and off, eventually booting. It seems that I am unable to alter any Memory Frequency settings in BIOS without causing some sort of issue.

Booting with an increased RAM voltage does not yield this issue.

Is this an issue that can be fixed, or will I be stuck with standard unoverclockable RAM?
Thank You in advance.

Solution
Sounds like"you're another victim of RAM manufaturers overspeccing their RAM.. You should see their speed numbers as a "best case" scenario. I find that few of them live up to the speed they advertise.

oneplanet4all

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like"you're another victim of RAM manufaturers overspeccing their RAM.. You should see their speed numbers as a "best case" scenario. I find that few of them live up to the speed they advertise.

Solution

DMorrison

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014

That's a damn shame to hear, but thank you for taking time to reply, I appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS