Question 3 beeps on startup

Ionut_10

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
My PC: MSI Z270 PC-MATE mobo, i5 7500, HyperX Savage 3000Mhz (xmp, single channel), GTX 1060 strix, SSD, HDD, DVD-RW and 550W PSU.

Video:
View: https://youtu.be/9oVJVYFQs8E

Every time I turn on my PC without a monitor or with the monitor off it makes 3 long beeps then starts normal as far as I can tell. Everything works fine as far as I am concerned, the in game performance is ok, temps ok. Ez debug LEDs light the VGA led. I use hdmi 1.4 from my GPU to monitor.
Edit: RAM is single stick and full name is HX430C15SB2/8
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX430C15SB2_8.pdf
I wanted to buy one more stick but it looks like is not selling anymore...
DRAM Voltage is 1,376V set on auto (a bit high i think), DRAM Frequency: 3000 Mhz (auto)
this is the XMP Profile 1 found in bios by default

Last edited:
Just one is generally worse than filling the ram slots for the same quantity of memory at total (like e.g. it's better 4x4 or 2x8 instead of 1x16), this is what he wants to say.
Anyway, does it still happen if you change the ram slot?

Ionut_10

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
Just one is generally worse than filling the ram slots for the same quantity of memory at total (like e.g. it's better 4x4 or 2x8 instead of 1x16), this is what he wants to say.
Anyway, does it still happen if you change the ram slot?
I tried to buy one more stick the same model but it isn't available anymore :( .. I will try to move the stick to diferent slot, but in mobo manual it says the second slot is for single channel use and that is what channel am i using.

On the 1st link u gave, there are XMP timing parameters.
U can enter them in bios instead of the default values(three timings and a voltage) and see if this eliminates the problem, u can try with all of the three combinations separately. The auto settings in bios aren't always the best, once-twice I had to change them and things went alright after a similar problem.
As for whether it's compatible or not, if u want to, then take it. I have done this way with 70-85 % positive effect.
I know taking matched pairs may cost u more, but it carries with itself kinda' guarantee, while I don't know who can guarantee u that the unmatched ones 'll be fine. May be a ok idea if u can return in case of incompatibility between the ram sticks or else.
I have a single case when exactly kingston's memories had issues between each other. The timings were different, and not only.

Ionut_10

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I set up the xmp timming parameters
On the 1st link u gave, there are XMP timing parameters.
U can enter them in bios instead of the default values(three timings and a voltage) and see if this eliminates the problem, u can try with all of the three combinations separately. The auto settings in bios aren't always the best, once-twice I had to change them and things went alright after a similar problem.
As for whether it's compatible or not, if u want to, then take it. I have done this way with 70-85 % positive effect.
I know taking matched pairs may cost u more, but it carries with itself kinda' guarantee, while I don't know who can guarantee u that the unmatched ones 'll be fine. May be a ok idea if u can return in case of incompatibility between the ram sticks or else.
I have a single case when exactly kingston's memories had issues between each other. The timings were different, and not only.
I set up the xmp parameters as you said. Nothing changes. I tried every slot of ram, still nothing changes. Ram works fine. I checked the mobo manual and the "VGA led indicates GPU is not detected or fail". Maybe that is supposed to do idk.. cuz I start up with no monitor?I guess..

Ionut_10

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017

I set up the xmp parameters as you said. Nothing changes. I tried every slot of ram, still nothing changes. Ram works fine. I checked the mobo manual and the "VGA led indicates GPU is not detected or fail". Maybe that is supposed to do idk.. cuz I start up with no monitor?I guess..
Sometimes the GPU fans rev up on startup but I guess that's normal. Sure is some weird bios setting somewhere

Ionut_10

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
Byw this is a old problem maybe 1 or 2 years but I remembered of it when I recently accidentally turned on my pc with my monitor off. Performance wise the pc works fine, I benchmarked it and is ok as far as I can tell, no visible issues.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So heres an easy fix.

Clear your CMOS (remove the battery for a few minutes with the PSU OFF and UNPLUGGED).

Put the battery back in

Reboot with a monitor plugged in.

Let us know what happens