[SOLVED] 3 cheap cpu coolers in fan hub directly connected to psu, would this work?

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
This is NOT for a pc. This is for a project, but we might need some pc components. We just need cheap components. So we need maybe 3 cheap cpu coolers like deepcool ice edge mini fs v2, and power it directly without a motherboard, so straight to psu via fan hub. The fan hub im currently looking at is this:
https://shopee.ph/♦♦♦1-to-5-4Pin-TX...r-Adapter-Dock-Station-i.135119536.2589679576
To power it, we just need molex (i assume we wont be using the other 4 pin since we would like it running at max speeds). Would this work?

Solution
The coolers you mentioned spec-out at a max running current of 0.12A±10%.
That will give you a maximum running current of 0.132A per fan.
Starting current can be 1.5-times the running current, so you want to plan on a starting current of 0.198A per fan....call it 0.2A.
Since you will be using 3 HS/Fan assys, you can figure that the maximum current draw will be 0.6A.

You can likely use a 12Volt, 1Amp AC power mains adapter to power all three fans simultaneously.

That, alone, should uncomplicate things for you....no need for a computer PSU to make that end of it happen, unless it's required for other aspects of what you are planning to do.
The coolers you mentioned spec-out at a max running current of 0.12A±10%.
That will give you a maximum running current of 0.132A per fan.
Starting current can be 1.5-times the running current, so you want to plan on a starting current of 0.198A per fan....call it 0.2A.
Since you will be using 3 HS/Fan assys, you can figure that the maximum current draw will be 0.6A.

You can likely use a 12Volt, 1Amp AC power mains adapter to power all three fans simultaneously.

That, alone, should uncomplicate things for you....no need for a computer PSU to make that end of it happen, unless it's required for other aspects of what you are planning to do.

Solution

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
Yes. That will accomplish the task.

Actually, you don't even need a computer power supply. You can just power the HS/Fan assys from a 12VDC bench power supply that is capable of supplying a bit more than the combined total current drawn by all the fans.
Yup we can totally do that with some cheap transformer. Would a cheap 12v transformer plus 12v molex cable line like this work?

https://shopee.ph/MOLEX-CABLE-12V-LINE-i.14369641.1073049727

Well, despite the common misnomer, that's actually an AMP connector on that cable; however, it will most definitely serve the purpose, as long as you have the proper means of connecting it to the fan connector hub.

And, as long as your 12V transformer output is rectified and filtered to provide a decent DC output at about 1A. I wouldn't take it below the 1A, quite honestly.

TRENDING THREADS