[SOLVED] 3 CPU fan failures in 2 yrs - bad luck or nefarious root cause?

Nov 20, 2019
Ancient build (2010). Use the PC very lightly. Ran the stock amd cooler for years, then a couple years ago finally replaced it with a noctua cooler. Worked great, CPU temp always super low.

The fan failed after 8 or 9 months. Struggled or intermittently failed to spin on startup then eventually completely ceased working. Got a new one (fan only) under warranty and it failed a few months later and noctua ghosted me.

Figured noctua sucks and bought a cooler master. Exactly a year later and now this fan has failed. It started struggling past couple weeks, would spin right down to double digit rpm then ramp back up. Now it just twitches when I power on and nothing more.

Do I have terrible luck, or could my mobo or PSU be causing this?

Solution
Though that Antec PSU was not to bad at its time, 9 years for a PSU is quite a strech. Espesially for one that has a 3 years warranty. I would start by replacing the PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
I've never seen the issue in person nor have I read about it on the forums. It's possible that the fan might be crippled by your board's power. Often times components can and will fail but not in succession and not in the same time frame as you've mentioned.

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU and it's make and model, not just the wattage.

Nov 20, 2019
I've never seen the issue in person nor have I read about it on the forums. It's possible that the fan might be crippled by your board's power. Often times components can and will fail but not in succession and not in the same time frame as you've mentioned.

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU and it's make and model, not just the wattage.

Appreciate the response
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G R
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
SSD/HDD: 1x Kingston SSD, 2x1TB HDD
GPU: VGA XFX HD5850 1GB
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
Chassis: Antec 300 Illusion

Everything purchased and been used since 2010, including the PSU, with exception to the SSD and one of the HDD's.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Though that Antec PSU was not to bad at its time, 9 years for a PSU is quite a strech. Espesially for one that has a 3 years warranty. I would start by replacing the PSU.

Solution