3 disk partitions on external disk for dual booting Linux and Windows on a MacBook Pro

affe2626

Prominent
Jun 18, 2018
Hi, I'm getting a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 model soon. I've also ordered a 1.5TB external disk for it, Seagate Expansion. I want to partition the disk in 3 partitions so I can install Windows(150GB), Linux(100GB) and a partition for general storage(1250GB) in that disk.

Would I run into some issues? And will the storage partition be usable for all OS'es?
I've never used a Mac before so do I need some additional software for partitioning and running other OS'es on it?

I'll run macOS on the internal disk as you probably could guess.

Don't know about Linux but you can't install Windows on external storage because Windows Setup won't let you - - it only shows internal storage as a destination for the installation.

Who the heck would want to do that anyway? It would take 10 mintes to load & it would run like a dog.

affe2626

Prominent
Jun 18, 2018

Okay, but I've heard Windows To Go will work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77iw6hl2GU&list=WL&index=60&t=0s. The thing I'm worried about is partitioning the disk into 3 volumes and installing different OS'es on 2 since I've heard that Rufus formats the whole drive. May be wrong though.

For the performance: yeah it will be shit with that disk, but I do have an SSD which I can use inside a SATA to USB-3.0/C enclosure.

I want to run Might & Magic on it, that's why I want Windows and I also want to run some servers on Linux (not performance heavy ones).
Ordered a Mac because I needed Xcode.