Jayj2000

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Would I be able to run intake 3 fans on 1 header as there are only two chasis fan headers on my mobo (asrock b450m pro 4 - F) and I’m using 1 already for two exhaust fans. The 3 fans I want to connect are coolermaster Masterfan sf120r ARGB’s.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those fans pull 2w each. 3x fans = 6w. A fan header = 10-12w.

No worries. On the fans themselves, but I'd suggest running the ARGB from a powered hub or controller, as they'll pull upto 5w per fan, @ 15w ish total, from a 12w ARGB header.

Jayj2000

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
It should be just fine, I also run 3 fans off of 1 fan header and it works just fine
It should be just fine, I also run 3 fans off of 1 fan header and it works just fine

No worries. On the fans themselves, but I'd suggest running the ARGB from a powered hub or controller, as they'll pull upto 5w per fan, @ 15w ish total, from a 12w ARGB header.
is the argh head

On the mobo site it says the argb header supports up to 15 watts led strip - https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Pro4-F/index.asp#Specification so would it Be fine ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just to provide a bit more context to this, when it comes to a fan header an easier way to look at this is in amperage. Most fan headers can provide 1A safely. Most case fans are around 0.15A-0.25A however some are not and its important to look at the tech specs of the fan before splitting to 3.

For example the Corsair AF120 fan is only 0.18A, so running 3 on a header is no problem. However the Corsair SP120 (which generally you would use on a radiator anyway but the point still stands) pulls down 0.40A, so 3 on a 1A header is a nono. As a rule I try to avoid more than 2 fans on a single header for this reason.

Coolermaster lists that fan current at 0.16A:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-sf120r-rgb/

However they note a "fan safety current" of 0.37A. What that tells me, is they believe it can surge to 0.37A for whatever reason likely when ramping up. So to me, I would never run more than TWO of these on a single fan header. Probably not a big deal, but I just don't love it.

On the mobo site it says the argb header supports up to 15 watts led strip - https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Pro4-F/index.asp#Specification so would it Be fine ?

RGB runs off a separate wire and header, 15w should be plenty for 3, they pull down 2w tops each fan, I don't know where he got the 5w number, the RGB is rated at 0.4A at 5v.

Reactions: bioax

Jayj2000

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Just to provide a bit more context to this, when it comes to a fan header an easier way to look at this is in amperage. Most fan headers can provide 1A safely. Most case fans are around 0.15A-0.25A however some are not and its important to look at the tech specs of the fan before splitting to 3.

For example the Corsair AF120 fan is only 0.18A, so running 3 on a header is no problem. However the Corsair SP120 (which generally you would use on a radiator anyway but the point still stands) pulls down 0.40A, so 3 on a 1A header is a nono. As a rule I try to avoid more than 2 fans on a single header for this reason.

Coolermaster lists that fan current at 0.16A:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-sf120r-rgb/

However they note a "fan safety current" of 0.37A. What that tells me, is they believe it can surge to 0.37A for whatever reason likely when ramping up. So to me, I would never run more than TWO of these on a single fan header.

RGB runs off a separate wire and header, 15w should be plenty for 3, they pull down 2w tops each fan, I don't know where he got the 5w number, the RGB is rated at 0.4A at 5v.

Ok so should I get a fan hub then?