Question 3 Fried Drives

Aug 31, 2019
So this just happened earlier today, I ordered 2 Seagate barracuda HDD from amazon and they just arrived today. After installing both drives I went to turn on the pc to see if it would boot. Everything lights up but then I hear what is a pop but I assume it’s noise coming from my 2 AIO liquid coolers. the computer shuts off. I hit the power button again thinking it was just a faulty boot, bad idea. a crackling sound followed by smoke and the smell of burning plastic comes from the back of my computer. I then turn off my PC and discover that the smell is coming from my SSD, a Samsung EVO 960. As of right now, the SSD and the 2 new Seagate drives don’t work. My 2 other HDD are fine, so all in all I lost 3 drives with 2 still functioning. As far as I know, I installed everything correctly. The SATA power cable I used for the 2 new drives is a cable I was already using for my SSD, so everything connected to that one cable got Fried. The drives connected to the other SATA power cable are fine. Is it possible I overloaded that one cable by attaching it to 3 different drives? Are those cables only meant for 1 drive? And if so, why haven’t my other drives been fried yet considering I already had 2 drives attached to one cable.

PC SPECS:
GTX 1080 Strix
i7 7700k (@4.87 gHZ)
2x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB (@3200 MHZ)
ASUS Maximus IX Code
EVGA 750 Watt PSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2019
[emoji3062]

PSU cables are NOT universal or compatible across models.
The pinouts can be completely different at the PSU end.

Sounds like you fried these drives.

Ahh I see, I never gave it much thought but that makes a lot of sense. Time to replace the drives :(

Aug 31, 2019
[emoji3062]

PSU cables are NOT universal or compatible across models.
The pinouts can be completely different at the PSU end.

Sounds like you fried these drives.

I have reordered the drives and am now looking at the correct cables. Can I trust 3rd party brands that sell cables that are “compatible” with my PSU? Or do EVGA sell cables themselves? Thank you very much for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
I have reordered the drives and am now looking at the correct cables. Can I trust 3rd party brands that sell cables that are “compatible” with my PSU? Or do EVGA sell cables themselves? Thank you very much for the help.

I wouldn't trust anything that did not actually come with the PSU, or ordered directly from the manufacturer for that specific PSU.