[SOLVED] 3 front fans and 1 back fan

Ronv1011

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Hey guys so i am planning to do a new pc build and was thinking can i put 3 fans front for intake and just 1 fan in the back for exhaust? Is it enough and wont to over intake and cause problem?

Solution
Hey guys so i am planning to do a new pc build and was thinking can i put 3 fans front for intake and just 1 fan in the back for exhaust? Is it enough and wont to over intake and cause problem?
It can work fine but will depend on what you are cooling. My case has a glass top (Fractal Design Vector RS) and with the case to the side of me on the floor I like to look in the top. I have 1 exhaust 140mm, a 360mm AIO at the front and 2x140mm at the bottom. The exhaust runs around 50-60%, the AIO on idle (only a 3700x) and the 2x140mm are about 30%. I get really good temps on both my 3700x and RTX3080. I did upgrade the fans as the ones that came with the case moved very little air even at 100%.
It can work fine but will depend on what you are cooling. My case has a glass top (Fractal Design Vector RS) and with the case to the side of me on the floor I like to look in the top. I have 1 exhaust 140mm, a 360mm AIO at the front and 2x140mm at the bottom. The exhaust runs around 50-60%, the AIO on idle (only a 3700x) and the 2x140mm are about 30%. I get really good temps on both my 3700x and RTX3080. I did upgrade the fans as the ones that came with the case moved very little air even at 100%.

Reactions: Ronv1011
Solution

Ronv1011

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Ok thanks for answer. Will this format be enough to cool system with rtx 3080 with i7 10700? (3 fans front 1 fan back , no top or buttom fans)

Ronv1011

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Should be fine, the 10700 is not a hot cpu. If you can I’d try for 3x120mm and 1x140mm
Thank you very much! And another question comes to my mind as we move further and cpus and gpus will become more hotter will this format will no longer be good and we will have to use only water cooler methods?

Thank you very much! And another question comes to my mind as we move further and cpus and gpus will become more hotter will this format will no longer be good and we will have to use only water cooler methods?
Impossible to say. AMD AM4 CPU’s are fairly cool CPU’s and would not expect that to change as they move to 5nm/7nm+. High end Intel are hot, especially 11th gen but once Intel finally get off 14nm their high CPU’s should run cooler. As for gpu’s my 3080 is the coolest running gpu I have had in the last 10 years but who knows what next gen will be like for temps.

Ronv1011

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Impossible to say. AMD AM4 CPU’s are fairly cool CPU’s and would not expect that to change as they move to 5nm/7nm+. High end Intel are hot, especially 11th gen but once Intel finally get off 14nm their high CPU’s should run cooler. As for gpu’s my 3080 is the coolest running gpu I have had in the last 10 years but who knows what next gen will be like for temps.
Thanks alot!

can i put 3 fans front for intake and just 1 fan in the back for exhaust?
your fan setup really depends on the layout of your case, the make\model of the fans being used, and the type of CPU cooler you are using.

if you have minimal vents in the front, sometimes it is better to also add intakes elsewhere.
if you have very high airflow coming in, you can have less sound being produced by adding additional exhaust and lowering the RPMs all around.

if you are using an air cooler for the CPU which is pushing a lot of warm air, certain fans cannot exhaust enough of that air through a single exhaust port. so you may need to add another exhaust fan.
if using a liquid cooler, you can consider that as additional exhaust or intake depending on it's efficiency and placement.

for the best possible advice;
list all of your system specs

3 front and 1 exhaust would be my preferred setup, not knowing anything else.
Whatever cooling air that comes in the front will exit SOMEWHERE, taking component heat with it.
The rear exhaust serves mainly to direct airflow over the motherboard, graphics card and cpu cooler.

If the front is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner since all intake is filtered.

I like 2/3 140mm fans(or 200mm), they run slower and are quieter while moving plenty of air.

There is no need for ultra high end liquid cooling with a 10700.
But to get maximum performance from the turbo modes, a good cooler can help.
Here is noctua's guide for the 10700:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-10700-413

NH-D15s is tops for cooling and quiet if your budget permits.