[SOLVED] 3 modules?

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi all

I bought a new pc recently and due to budget restrictions I only got a single ram stick thinking I will upgrade later on. I am now ordering a kit (2x8GB's) of the same ram I am currenty using. So my plan is to remove this stick and have it as backup and place the other 2 as a dual channel. My question is if I have all 3 of them will it still count as "dual" channel but use 24gb's? Or will it run as single channel 24gb? My bet is that it wont run as dual but I gotta ask.

Solution
Hi all

I bought a new pc recently and due to budget restrictions I only got a single ram stick thinking I will upgrade later on. I am now ordering a kit (2x8GB's) of the same ram I am currenty using. So my plan is to remove this stick and have it as backup and place the other 2 as a dual channel. My question is if I have all 3 of them will it still count as "dual" channel but use 24gb's? Or will it run as single channel 24gb? My bet is that it wont run as dual but I gotta ask.
It will run in single channel mode with 24GB total. If you don't need more than 16GB, don't put the original module back in so it can run faster in dual channel mode.
Hi all

It will run in single channel mode with 24GB total. If you don't need more than 16GB, don't put the original module back in so it can run faster in dual channel mode.

Solution