3 Monitors, But only need 2 active at once - Can I choose which 2 are actice?

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
My main system doubles as a HTPC right now. One monitor on desk and a long HDMI cable to a HDTV, the displays are set to duplicate (mirror) Thinking of adding a second monitor on my desk for dual display when working, probably in extend desktop mode. Does Windows have an easy mechanism to quickly choose which 2 displays are active?

I know Win Key + P allows me to quickly choose how to manage 2 displays. Is there a similar way to quickly choose which 2 of 3 displays are active?

FYI: GPU is a R9 270x

Solution
Yes, you can leave a monitor connected but "disconnected".

Right click on the Start button and pick Control Panel. Under Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution you will see all the monitors attached. You can move them up, down, left and right for order and "not use" a particular monitor. When you want to use it, go back in here and "Extend" or "Mirror" that monitor. (this location have more settings that Win+P key)

I have the three monitors listed below, plus my 55" 1080p TV hooked up, and when I want to watch a movie or something from my HD - I just switch the TV to the correct HDMI and then "extend" and now I have 4 monitors.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
I think you might have missed the point... I want to keep all 3 plugged in, monitors on DVI and TV on HDMI, and be able to quickly choose which 2 are active. If there isn't a way to easily do this in Windows then I probably won't get a second monitor for my desk.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yes, you can leave a monitor connected but "disconnected".

Right click on the Start button and pick Control Panel. Under Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution you will see all the monitors attached. You can move them up, down, left and right for order and "not use" a particular monitor. When you want to use it, go back in here and "Extend" or "Mirror" that monitor. (this location have more settings that Win+P key)

I have the three monitors listed below, plus my 55" 1080p TV hooked up, and when I want to watch a movie or something from my HD - I just switch the TV to the correct HDMI and then "extend" and now I have 4 monitors.

Solution