Question 3 Monitors, (Displayport) & 1 TV, (hmdi).

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I have my online racing setup with 3 monitors all going to the GPU with via display ports... and I have my living-room TV connected to the GPU via a hmdi cable.

Now, when I turn on my 3 monitors to race, and turn off the TV (but leave the TV's hmdi cable plugged in) the 3 monitors won't act as one (as is needed for racing). Only when I unplug the TV's hmdi cable do the monitors work properly.

I don't want to be unplugging and plugging the the TV's hmdi cable in and out all the time... as at some point it might break due to use/wear.

What are the best options for my dilemma?

Maybe there's a type of "plug in" adapter box that can be bought so I can turn off the TV's hmdi when I want to race. Or perhaps this is a case of assigning priority to the monitors somewhere in the software??

Thanks.

Elezondo

Commendable
Nov 19, 2021
Some TVs don’t actually turn off and so your computer may still be sending and receiving data which might be messing with your display settings. I would check your TV settings and see if it has some sort of low power, eco, or fast turn on type setting.

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
On Windows 10 With tv and monitor connected:
Right click on desktop > Display settings
Select the monitor / tv you want to disconnect
Scroll down to the drop-down menu under "Multiple Displays" and select "Disconnect this display"

This will act as if your TV is disconnected from the HDMI connector, until you go back into display settings and set it to Extend or Duplicate again.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
On Windows 10 With tv and monitor connected:
Right click on desktop > Display settings
Select the monitor / tv you want to disconnect
Scroll down to the drop-down menu under "Multiple Displays" and select "Disconnect this display"

This will act as if your TV is disconnected from the HDMI connector, until you go back into display settings and set it to Extend or Duplicate again.

I have Windows 11. (Perhaps slightly different directions for 11?)

At the moment with all 4 screens on it only recognizes the TV and 1 Monitor. All 3 monitors are on, the just are acting as one screen.

Is the only way to upload an image through a 3rd party?

Last edited:

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
I have Windows 11. (Perhaps slightly different directions for 11?)

At the moment with all 4 screens on it only recognizes the TV and 1 Monitor. All 3 monitors are on, the just are acting as one screen.

Is the only way to upload an image through a 3rd party?
i dont know if i understand what you mean with "they are acting as one screen". Is the same picture on both monitors?

If so, press the "windows button" on your keyboard + "P" at the same time
A panel on the right of the screen should appear, you then select "Extend" from that panel.
This will act as if the monitors each are different screens.

You can upload pictures to Imgur, then post the share link here and it will show up.

Could you post a link to what you are suggesting.
If your tv can output @120hz, you will need a hdmi 2.1 connection.
Here is a RX6400 card that can do that:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...814930068?Item=N82E16814930068&quicklink=true

If just any hdmi level is ok, then a less expensive option might be a HD6450:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...814930068?Item=N82E16814930068&quicklink=true
I do not know about the output quality of the HD6450, I used a predecessor as a test and the image was not good.

You can install either in the second pciex16 slot on your motherboard.
I explicitly looked for AMD cards since that is what your main card is now using and you are familiar with that infrastructure.
But, Windows can handle two different graphics adapters so that is not a restriction

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020