Question 3 monitors graphics card for older computer

Mar 14, 2019
Hi everyone,
Thank you for reading this question and replying to it.

I have an older computer HP Pavillion HPE. Intel i7-3770 cpu @3.40GHz and 24 GB of RAM. The motherboard is the IPMMB-FM Formosa. I have 3 monitors. (2) ASUS VK246 using DVI and (1) acer K272HUL using the DVI port also. My graphics card is the AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.

I can run the current system with the monitors but the highest resolution on the acer monitor is 1920 x 1080. I need this monitor to run in 2560 x 1440. The other 2 monitors are great with the 1920 x 1080 display.

Looking into getting the EVGA GTX 770 4GB card and running the (2) ASUS monitors through the DVI (1920 x 1080) while I run the acer with the HDMI port at 2560 x 1440 display.

Will I be able to achieve this configuration with my system?

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

With the GTX 770 has the capacity to support that. Your cables probably do. To run a monitor at 1440p, you have to have a dual-link DVI or HDMI 1.3 or Displayport (1.2 if you are trying to 144Hz) output and a cable that works with that. Not all cables work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#/media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

The link above shows the pinouts of different DVI cables (really TMI since you were going to use the HDMI for the 1440 monitor, but might be handy in the future). Most of your displayport and HDMI cables will work unless they were super cheap.

Mar 14, 2019
With the GTX 770 has the capacity to support that. Your cables probably do. To run a monitor at 1440p, you have to have a dual-link DVI or HDMI 1.3 or Displayport (1.2 if you are trying to 144Hz) output and a cable that works with that. Not all cables work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#/media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

The link above shows the pinouts of different DVI cables (really TMI since you were going to use the HDMI for the 1440 monitor, but might be handy in the future). Most of your displayport and HDMI cables will work unless they were super cheap.

Thank you so much.

It depends on which card he has. Some of the 7700 can only run 2 passive monitors and the third has to be an active DisplayPort. Some let you run 3 passive monitors (Sapphire calls it flex edition eyefinity), but I don't know if you would lose the dual-link required for 1440p if you ran that setup. It really depends on the 7700 Craig has and what features it supports.

Mar 14, 2019
It depends on which card he has. Some of the 7700 can only run 2 passive monitors and the third has to be an active DisplayPort. Some let you run 3 passive monitors (Sapphire calls it flex edition eyefinity), but I don't know if you would lose the dual-link required for 1440p if you ran that setup. It really depends on the 7700 Craig has and what features it supports.

Thank you 'anotherdrew' . Right now I am running the 7700 but looking into getting the EVGA GTX 770 4GB card. Is this what you are talking about?

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

7700 was a reference to the Radeon HD 7700 series. Captaincharisma is correct that the Radeon HD 7700 series can support multiple monitors (6 in some situations), but it depends on the model you have and potentially how you connect your monitors. Captaincharisma mentions this in hope of saving you the money you were going to spend on the GTX 770 (can't complain about that). Will it work? Hard to say without knowing which Radeon HD 7700 series video card you have.