3 monitors on my one gpu or buy a cheap one for the third one?

blackhawks2013

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I have an R9 270x coupled with a FX-6300. I currently have 2 monitors connected with my R9 270x, one in DVI and one in HDMI.

I was wondering if I should buy a cheap, $30 gpu and hook it up with my new monitor. The new one won't being doing much, just having a chat client and Google Music open on it, but I am mostly concered if I hook all 3 of them up onto one gpu, it would be too much on the GPU. At it's most load, I'd be playing a game, watching a movie or youtube, and using the 3rd monitor for the chat client. Would the GPU be able to handle that, or no?

Thanks for listening to this jumbled mess, appreciate for the help :)

Solution

Yes, though if you wanted to play GTA 5, you'd want to maybe look into getting a second card for Crossfire, then you'd be golden. At that point, you could easily do anything you wanted and not worry about it taxing the single GPU itself.

Hope...

TheTerminator8

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

First of all, what kind of games to you play? Any social media activity is CAKE for a graphics card such as that to handle. Your main concern is the games you're playing, and what resolution are your monitors? All three 1080p I'm assuming?

TheTerminator8

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

But if he had all the displays connected to his one GPU?

blackhawks2013

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

While watching movies and at full load, I'd be mostly playing Cities: Skylines. I'd like be able to play GTA V at full load, but I'd doubt the GPU would be able to all of that at once.

From my understanding, Cities is mostly a Cpu intensive game?

Actually you can use different cards perfectly fine for more monitors. Even mix amd, intel and nvida all in 1 pc which I've been doing for years. They just won't help each other (except in software that does support multiple like gpu renderers and computational). Even with 2 of the same gpus, you can just disable cf for more monitors. Also sli is nvidia and they support monitors from all gpus with sli enabled while cf only outputs from the main gpu so has to disable cf. Dedicated phsyx cards can be done with different cards too so there's another example of different gpus working in 1 system.

You'd be fine with just your gpu. Just be aware it requires an active dp adapter.

TheTerminator8

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Yes, though if you wanted to play GTA 5, you'd want to maybe look into getting a second card for Crossfire, then you'd be golden. At that point, you could easily do anything you wanted and not worry about it taxing the single GPU itself.

Hope this helps,
~Term

Solution