3 Monitors Problem - Following the Eyefinity Setup Guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Alright, so before I went and setup the 3rd "monitor" I noticed that I needed at least one connected through the Mini Displayport, so I ordered an adapter to connect to the mini displayport and then connect my VGA monitor into the adapter. So, that worked just fine, but I ran into a problem.

I'm using one monitor: 1600x900 DVI
Second monitor: 1600x900 Mini Displayport connected via VGA
Hauppauge Colossus (capture card): HDMI

So, in theory, that should be working just fine. Yet when I go to change the display settings to duplicate the monitor (VGA) with the Hauppauge Colossus (HDMI) it says: "Unable to save display settings" either I just wasted 35 dollars on an active adapter for my monitor, or the registry from my previous setup is messing up my new setup.

Please let me know if there's something that I can do to fix this! I really hope I didn't waste 35 dollars on an adapter and more on the Hauppauge Colossus (which used to work before I bought a new monitor)

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Well, according to some posts, it's because I ordered a active adapter for VGA and not DVI is why my setup is not going to work. Can someone please clarify before I go cry in a corner?

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Sorry about the impatience, I'm just rather upset that this adapter I just paid for isn't working or at least I don't think it is.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 GHz
GPU: HIS Ice-Q Radeon HD 6950
RAM: 8 GB

GPU is completely up to date. It's not a "monitor" even though Windows considers it one. It's a capture card, but I'm pretty sure it's set at 1920x1080, but you can only change the resolution once it's been added I believe.

Also, I can see the capture card is identified in the display settings, but I can't get it to duplicate the monitor that I'm using for video games or even extend the display to it.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Well, the theory that the registry from the other monitors was causing problems has been put to rest. I needed to clean out my computer, so I reinstalled the OS and I'm still experiencing the same problem.

Does anyone here think that it's the adapter being VGA instead of DVI is the problem? I'd really like to be able to use my expensive capture card. I'd hate to let it go to waste.

Colossus connected via HDMI:

picture1pk.png

Attempting to duplicate the monitor that I use to play video games on, so the Hauppauge Colossus will record the screen of that monitor:

picture21aw.png

The error I receive from applying the duplication of the monitor and Hauppauge Colossus:

picture2zz.png

Monitor 1: connected via Mini Displayport adapter to VGA:

picture4lr.png

Monitor 2: connected via DVI:

picture3du.png

I've also tried it on the other monitor too, no luck.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
After doing abit of reading, it doesn't look like you'll be able to use your hauppauge card like that without getting an actual 3rd monitor and hdmi splitter. But if you're not planning on gaming in eyefinity, why not connect the hauppauge to your 2nd monitor and record that way? Looks like you'll need an hdmi splitter either way as it doesn't look like the hauppauge supports dvi.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

I don't want to game in Eyefinity, I want to play the video game on one monitor and be able to use the other monitor for web browsing, live stream chat, etc. Also, I do not have a HDMI port on my monitor, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Explain to me what I have to do to make this happen.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Not sure I can as I have no experience with capture cards. However, from what I have been able to discover, you will only be able game and browse if the game is in windowed mode. The bad news is it doesn't look like you needed the hauppauge card at all to do this. Connect your monitors to your gpu as you normally would, extend your desktop, then start the game in windowed mode, then adjust size of the game windows. You should now be in game, and have a monitor free for browsing.

If you wish to continue using the hauppauge card you will need an hdmi splitter, and an hdmi/vga adapter. Connect one monitor directly to your gpu (dvi). For 2nd monitor, connect gpu hdmi to hdmi splitter. Connect one hdmi from splitter to hauppauge hdmi in. Connect 2nd hdmi from splitter to hdmi/vga adapter. Connect hdmi/vga adapter to 2nd monitor.

As I said earlier, I have no experience with capture cards, and this is info I have managed to pick up from Hauppauge's support site, and other forums, but I hope it helps.

Good Luck.

sk1939

Distinguished

As far as I know to use Eyefinity, you need to enable it in Catalyst Control Center.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

OP doesn't want to use eyefinity. OP wants to have game in one monitor, and have other monitor free for browsing, skype, etc. I was alittle confused by the addition of the hauppauge card. Couldn't see where that fitted into the mix.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. By any chance do you think you could link me to the needed supplies for this.

I'm glad you were able to provide a possible solution.

P.S: Hopefully something not too ridiculously expensive. I don't want to spend any more money than I have already. But I'll do what I have to do.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
You're welcome, glad to help (such as it is). After having a look at a few sites, this might be more the thing you need instead of hdmi splitter AND hdmi/vga adapter.

HDMI to HDMI/DVI splitter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200485

But shop around, adapters & splitters are common items and nearly all pc stores carry them, there are many different types, brands, prices out there.

Good luck.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Sorry to be any more of a nuisance, but is this the only thing I need to purchase? And, when I get it, explain to me how my setup should be.

Thanks again for your help, you're very kind.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
No problem. As I mentioned, I have no experience with the hauppauge cards, but from what I got from their support pages is if you want to use it's hdmi input it must also be connected to a splitter and monitor. Support suggests you connect it like this. Connect GPU VGA out to Monitor 2 VGA in. Connect GPU HDMI out to HDMI-HDMI/DVI splitter. Connect HDMI split out to Hauppauge HDMI in. Connect DVI split out to Monitor 1 DVI in.

Hope this helps. Will keep looking for more info to address this issue. Good luck.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Thank you very much, I have one last question. Remember how I ordered that adapter that connects to the Mini Displayport on the GPU that outputs VGA? Would I be able to continue to use that or will I just need to remove the adapter and connect the VGA straight into the GPU?

Thanks!

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Thanks and I'll be ordering that part, let's hope that this is the last thing I need to order to fix this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.