3 monitors using two different graphics cards

allstaringh

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
so im trying to setup three monitors for my computer and i can only setup two
i have an gtx 970 and im using the hdmi and dvi-i port.
I also have a onboard graphics card that has a vga port for the third monitor
so i was wondering that if i can use that port for my third monitor
motherboard is =FOXCONN 2A92
Cpu=AMD athlon ii x4 630
Gpu=gtx 970
im not using this to game just to surf the internet
gpu2=? idk
also the onboard card doesnt show up on the device manager

Solution
No you cannot use the onboard vga port because your cpu does not have a gpu built in. You would need to have an APU to have that.
The 970 can easily run 3 monitors. I would suggest trying the vga monitor on the dvi port (using a dvi to vga adapter) and then connecting the dvi monitor to an hdmi port (using an dvi to hdmi adapter)
There is no cheap adapter to go from vga to hdmi by the way.

this also assumes your dvi monitor is capable of dvi-d (digital) since hdmi is a digital only signal, and that your 970's dvi port is a dvi-i port and therefor capable of an analog signal. Without the exact model#'s we can't say for certain what features the manufacturers have enabled...

good luck!

popatim

Titan
No you cannot use the onboard vga port because your cpu does not have a gpu built in. You would need to have an APU to have that.
The 970 can easily run 3 monitors. I would suggest trying the vga monitor on the dvi port (using a dvi to vga adapter) and then connecting the dvi monitor to an hdmi port (using an dvi to hdmi adapter)
There is no cheap adapter to go from vga to hdmi by the way.

this also assumes your dvi monitor is capable of dvi-d (digital) since hdmi is a digital only signal, and that your 970's dvi port is a dvi-i port and therefor capable of an analog signal. Without the exact model#'s we can't say for certain what features the manufacturers have enabled...

good luck!

Solution