[SOLVED] 3 month old system not booting and then crashing

Oct 31, 2019
Hello, so suddenly my 3 month system refuses to boot, no video output, no sound, no bios, nothing. I found out that the problem was from the 3rd and 4th ram slot. After putting all my ram in 1st and 2nd ram slot the pc booted into windows. The problem is that the system is very unstable now: frequent bsod, sometimes some google chrome tabs are crashing, some notification saying "default radeon wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" appeared.
So I have a separate warranty, the problem is that I don't know what part I should send back to warranty. Is it the motherboard? Or is it the ram sticks? Or maybe the PSU (to me it seems it outputs the right voltage tho)?

P.S. All my system was plugged into a power extender that had on/off switch, and every night I was turning off the power extender (after the pc was shut down) because my sound system is making weird noises while plugged in even when is turned off.

My system is:
CPU R5 3600
MOBO Gigabyte Aorus B450M
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15, 1.35V, XMP 2.0
GPU R580 8gb
nJoy Titan 500 500w

Solution
I'd also remove the CPU cooler, check the CPU for bent pins, then reapply the cooler without excessive force, as bent pins and excess pressure on the CPU can cause RAM slot instability quite commonly.

As a note though the PSU is poor quality and could equally be a cause for concern - so frankly I'd swap it anyway (IMO)!

Are you running any overclock at all? Have you reset BIOS to defaults?
When you say refuses to boot, does literally nothing happen or do fans spin etc?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd also remove the CPU cooler, check the CPU for bent pins, then reapply the cooler without excessive force, as bent pins and excess pressure on the CPU can cause RAM slot instability quite commonly.

As a note though the PSU is poor quality and could equally be a cause for concern - so frankly I'd swap it anyway (IMO)!

When you say refuses to boot, does literally nothing happen or do fans spin etc?

Reactions: Smarcaz
Solution
Oct 31, 2019

Thanks, I will follow your suggestions about CPU tonight. Who knows, maybe I tighten up the cooler's screws too much...

No overclocking was applied, the BIOS was unchanged since I updated it for the 3xxx ryzen series.
All the fans was spinning but there was no video signal, the keyboard was not lighting up (usually it does right when the "AORUS" logo appears).

Oct 31, 2019
Thanks, I will follow your suggestions about CPU tonight. Who knows, maybe I tighten up the cooler's screws too much...

No overclocking was applied, the BIOS was unchanged since I updated it for the 3xxx ryzen series.
All the fans was spinning but there was no video signal, the keyboard was not lighting up (usually it does right when the "AORUS" logo appears).

Ok, so I took the cooler and the cpu off, I checked for bent pins but everything was looking good, I reinstalled the cpu and the cooler but I was very careful not to tighten the screws too much. And it worked! Now my pc is working with ram sticks on 1st and 3rd slot as normal. It's too early to say something about system stability, but I'm pretty sure the problem is 100% gone.

This was my 5th system I built and It's the first time i had this problem. I'll remember from now on not to tighten the cpu cooler's screws too much.

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

Reactions: PC Tailor