3 new routers wifi issues

stuartrodgers87

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
my router (technicolor provides by ISP) died the other day and I hooked up my spare router (zyxel) for time been till I got a new router. both routers have the same SSID and password so all the devices connected straight away and im able to browse online no problems. now both routers are about 1-2 years old.
I have just gone and bought a new router (netgear) and configured the router with the same SSID and password so, I don’t need to update my devices. With my new router, I found a handful of my devices worked and some said incorrect password. I “forgot the network name” and re-entered the password and got the same issues with connection. I then found my device’s that were connected are starting to drop the connection. I have changed the channels on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. This made no difference at all. I thought it was a faulty router so replaced it.
Got the new router configured, updated the SSID and password to my own SSIS and pass, and the same issue are occurring. Again, updated my devices password and channels on the router and still same issues.
Got a different brand router now as suspect the netgear was the problem but still same issues.
Even on the default SSID the router has on the sticker I’m having the same problems. So i suspect I’m having wifi interference.
I have now plugged in my spare router (zyxel) and this is work fine, all my devices are connected to my own SSID and I’m having no drop outs. So now I’m not thinking wifi interference.

Anyone have any ideas on where to start and resolve. My router I have now will not run at the full speeds my ISP is providing which is why I’m looking for a new router, but I’m not able to get the new routers to have a stable SSID, after updating router and devices

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding the new routers: did you just go with their default IP address and DHCP IP address settings?

Also, as I understand your post you are using only one router - correct?

How many devices are on your network? Wired and wireless? Any static IPs in use?

Draw a simple sketch of your network and label all devices. Verify your router's configuration and then start going through your sketch device by device to ensure that each device's configuration matches the router. Focus on getting one device fully functional at the speeds expected.

Keep notes on your sketch. Compare each device as you move from one device to the next.

Do not proceed to another device until you get the current device operational and have ensured that all of the preceding devices remain operational.

And remember it can take time for all of the devices to do the necessary "handshaking" etc. to find out who is who.

Look at your router's administrative functions and features. The router may include a map or listing of the devices on the network. Hopefully including the device MACs.

stuartrodgers87

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
thanks for the response.

yes only 1 router, and got about 30/40 devices

i have now resolved the issue to a faulty power line adapotor. as soon as the ethernet was unplugged it stopped all interferance and allowed a stable wifi connection. looks like faulty electric cable is boosting the internet signal

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting...

Not sure about "looks like faulty electric cable is boosting the internet signal".

Especially the "boosting" part.

However, as long as you have identified the source of the problem, the terminology becomes a bit moot.

Please add, if possible, some additional explanation. That information may prove helpful to other posters.