[SOLVED] 3 or 4 year warranty?

Alright so I need to know are warranties worth it? as I am thinking about getting a warranty on everything and I'd like to keep my monitor covered for at least 3 years because I don't want to have to switch monitors for a while if you need my monitor here

Solution
Term of Coverage: The term of this Plan begins on your date of purchase and continues for the period indicated on your sales receipt or your order confirmation email. This Plan is inclusive of the manufacturer’s warranty; it does not replace the manufacturer’s warranty. Except for the enhanced coverage’s outlined above, which begin on your date of purchase, all other Plan coverage becomes effective immediately following either the expiration of the retailer’s store return policy or the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty, whichever is longer. Plan coverage remains in effect throughout the duration of your term, unless cancelled or fulfilled pursuant to the provisions below. In the event your product is being serviced by an...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How much do the 3 and 4 year warranties cost?

FYI, Acer itself provides a 3 year warranty. Many credit cards have a feature that will extend a manufacturer's regular warranty by a year (or more). I think everything purchased from Costco also automatically gets an extra year of warranty.

If you buy a monitor that has a 3 year warranty on it, then get a 4 year warranty from Square trade on it, you really need to know if that 4 year warranty gives you a 7 year warranty period, or just a 4 year warranty period.

Personally, these extended warranties are one of the biggest scams on consumers, today. There is usually a cost to obtaining a replacement under these warranties, should something happen.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
If you buy a monitor that has a 3 year warranty on it, then get a 4 year warranty from Square trade on it, you really need to know if that 4 year warranty gives you a 7 year warranty period, or just a 4 year warranty period.

Personally, these extended warranties are one of the biggest scams on consumers, today. There is usually a cost to obtaining a replacement under these warranties, should something happen.
What is squaretrade?

Square Trade is an extended warranty underwriter for many retail purchases.

You need to examine the terms and conditions of the warranties being offered to you, and see what they are actually offering you, in terms of coverage period, and any costs associated with exercising a replacement under their warranties.

USAFRet

Titan
For instance, I just put a $180 Razer Huntsman keyboard in my Amazon cart, and looked up the "warranty"
$29.99, 4 years, from Asurion.

Read here and see how little this actually covers.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61FW1NdyY-L.pdf

And it doesn't really say if that "4 years" is concurrent or consecutive. But I didn't read into it that closely.

And this:
8B7ae6E.jpg

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
bc I can't just have the pocket money to buy another if it happens to break in a year or smth
The amount you'd be paying for all those extra warranties would probably add up to the cost of replacing any component that breaks anyway. And all of those components have 2 to 3 years of warranty from the manufacturer.

How can you say you can't afford the possibility of having to spend $50 on a new mouse years in the future when you can drop hundreds of dollars on extended warranties today?

Term of Coverage: The term of this Plan begins on your date of purchase and continues for the period indicated on your sales receipt or your order confirmation email. This Plan is inclusive of the manufacturer’s warranty; it does not replace the manufacturer’s warranty. Except for the enhanced coverage’s outlined above, which begin on your date of purchase, all other Plan coverage becomes effective immediately following either the expiration of the retailer’s store return policy or the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty, whichever is longer. Plan coverage remains in effect throughout the duration of your term, unless cancelled or fulfilled pursuant to the provisions below. In the event your product is being serviced by an authorized service center when this Plan expires, the term of this Plan will be extended until the covered repair has been completed. There will be no lapse in coverage if you relocate your business, provided that you continue this Plan and notify us of such relocation

NOT WORTH IT.

If you buy a 3-year warranty on the monitor, you have no real coverage beyond the manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a 4-year warranty, you only see an extension of warranty terms of one year.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I find the below text to be crucial:
-----------------
Limit of Liability: For any single claim, the limit of liability under this Plan is the least of the cost of: (1) authorized repairs; (2) a replacement product; (3) reimbursement for authorized repairs or replacement; or (4) the original price you paid for the product, excluding sales tax, as indicated on your sales receipt or order confirmation email. The total liability under this Plan for any single product is: (a) replacement of the product with a replacement product; (b) reimbursement of the purchase price you paid for the product, excluding sales tax; or (c) the total of all authorized repairs up to the original purchase price of the product, excluding sales tax.
----------------

So...
If you buy a keyboard for $180
3 years later, you make a successful claim for a busted keyboard.
But now, the keyboard sells for $110.

You get a Visa gift card for $110.

Asurion was the underwriter of the handset coverage that I no longer have on my cell phones.

I dropped them after noticing that it would cost me 25% of my original handset price to obtain a replacement handset, under the warranty. I could have banked what I was being charged per month, along with that 25% "deductable", and had more than 75% of the handset cost for an upgrade when the time comes.

I need to look at my USAA homeowner policy to see if lost or stolen handsets are covered without additional cost...

What's Not Covered... for this reason alone I NEVER EVER... u expect bumper-to-bumper, no question asked? not in your life, once something fail and you file the claim, they gonna say uh, did u read the fine print? this particular item not covered according to agreement. $70 to ship back that sucker and 6 weeks turn-around maybe another issue.