GOUSN1776

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi everyone! :hello: I'm currently training at a PC store. Me and this other guy are trying to figure out some networking. So far we've file shared 2 PCs with 1 crossover cable. Now we're trying to figure out how to do this with 3 PCs and NO hub, switch, router, etc. I have my theory and he has his.

His theory:
One of the computers need an ethernet card so 2 crossover cables can be plugged into it. (The MOBOs only have one port to plug in Cat5s)

My theory:
Cut 2 crossover cables in half. And put the three ends together so the wires are touching each other, then tape it. For example green to green to green, orange to orange to orange, etc.
Here's an example picture:
cross.jpg

Now I know my theory would work with audio but me co-trainee isn't so sure if it will work with networking. I say yes.

Which method do you all think would work best, if any. If neither will work or if there's a better solution, please, do tell.
In the end we might eventually be doing the same thing with multiple security cameras, but that's another thread.

-Thank You

My instinct tells me this would be impossible or very unlikely because the speed on the split cable would be parlously low. However, reality has it that RJ45 splitters are available and they wouldn't be manufactured if there wasn't a demand. Save the duct tape and buy a splitter instead. In your other tread, I may comment it won't work for a camera system because of the speed aspect.

GOUSN1776

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Thanks. The person that's supposed to be "training" us (he really doesn't) said we should only need the 2 CAT5 cables. At least that's what we got out of it due to his lack of english skills. Any ideas to this dilemma?

Dykstra420

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I have found the only way I can do this is to have one computer in the middle and transfer data from one to another to another. I cant get the other two computers to see more than itself and one more computer.

TRENDING THREADS