3-Phase VRM for Core 2 Quad

MCID47

Distinguished
Hi there, i would like to ask.

i have a plan to resurrecting my old 775 motherboards for home cinemas and/or livingroom pc, currently have a specification :
Core 2 Duo E7500
Jetway MI5-G41SGM
4GB DDR3 1333(downclocked to 1066 due to motherboard suppport)
Power Color R7 240 1G DDR5
FSP Hexa+ 400W
DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2.0
(All of the components above are no brand-new)

The thing is, does the motherboard's VRM can handle my Core 2 Quad Q8400 or Q6600(not stated on the website) ? because it only has 3 power phase design on the board. I'm planning for an upgrade from E7500 since the poor performance for casual gaming.

Thanks in advance

Solution
I blew up a 3-phase G41 motherboard with a Q6700 @ 10 x 333 = 3.33GHz 1.4250v.

Bought board for $5 from junk pile.

Ran perfect, installed Windows, final burn-in test using IntelBurnTest resulted in blown mosfet on 5th pass. There was only one mosfet with a dead short so I replaced it with one scavenged from a dead board and it survived dozens of passes and works to this day at 3.33GHz.

Either it was just a dud mosfet or it was the cheapo Powerman IP-s350cq2-0 power supply, as afterwards I replaced the PSU with a Seasonic Super-Silencer based Antec SU-380

G41 has very limited FSB capability, usually topping out at ~340 so you'll want a quad with a high multiplier.
BTW I estimate the 65nm quad uses ~135w @ 3.33GHz. A 45nm Q9650...

MCID47

Distinguished

Yea, i'm just wondering if the board can handle the power delivery through the cpu. 100W+ cruising through 3 phase choke is not a good idea. Thanks for the answer :D

I blew up a 3-phase G41 motherboard with a Q6700 @ 10 x 333 = 3.33GHz 1.4250v.

Bought board for $5 from junk pile.

Ran perfect, installed Windows, final burn-in test using IntelBurnTest resulted in blown mosfet on 5th pass. There was only one mosfet with a dead short so I replaced it with one scavenged from a dead board and it survived dozens of passes and works to this day at 3.33GHz.

Either it was just a dud mosfet or it was the cheapo Powerman IP-s350cq2-0 power supply, as afterwards I replaced the PSU with a Seasonic Super-Silencer based Antec SU-380

G41 has very limited FSB capability, usually topping out at ~340 so you'll want a quad with a high multiplier.
BTW I estimate the 65nm quad uses ~135w @ 3.33GHz. A 45nm Q9650 only uses around 72w at 3.0GHz (despite the rated 95w TDP, the identical Xeon E5450 is rated 80w) but you won't be overclocking at all--its stock FSB is already 333

Solution

MCID47

Distinguished

I know, this config should not be overclocked at all since its supposed to run quitely and cool enough to keep up the heat. I also have some good stock PSU, this Hexa+ is not top-tier but it runs better than CX series from Corsair anyway, so i'm pretty sure this thing can hold the power.

I usually pad-mod Q6600s so they run at 9 x 333 =3.0GHz in Dells, HPs and Lenovos, even SFF ones. It probably adds only around 20w which should still be quiet with even an inexpensive aftermarket cooler.
attachment.php

MCID47

Distinguished

The Q6600 only runs at 1066MHz FSB anyway, only the newer Yorkfield runs @1333MHz FSB.
And yes, mine ever does the pad-mod as you described, but its not neccesary because my mobo can handle multplier easier on the bios. Though once i set my Core 2 Duo to 11x333MHz, the system goes very unstable and crash every single time, so i stick with stock 266Mhz with 10 or 11 multiplier. This system not meant to be overclocked, at all.

4745454b

Titan
Guessing from the motherboard name, the G41 handles all C2Q CPUs, even the newer 45nm CPUs. Because they are G boards and not the better boards (P and X.) they don't OC well. Most G boards don't even have OCing options. If you want to set that system up for HTPC duties you'll be fine at stock settings. If you want to OC and game, look elsewhere.

MCID47

Distinguished

Yep, all G41 should handle Core 2 Quad very well but not for OCing and anything else, just a basic motherboards. But, im a little bit worried about the MOSFETs and Chokes, which its only count 3 set. I'm pretty sure most of G41 handle C2Q series, but with 3 Phase power design, does it matter ? or it can goes explode and burning out.
(i once do an OC with 970 board from MSI 970 Gaming, with FX-8350 and watercooling, the MOSFET goes up in smoke and explode. This thing definitely caused by bad components)

Samat

Distinguished

Should be fine with no oc, if you get a bad component you could get a blowup even with more phases. Decent airflow does never hurt.

4745454b

Titan
Yep, all G41 should handle Core 2 Quad very well but not for OCing and anything else, just a basic motherboards. But, im a little bit worried about the MOSFETs and Chokes, which its only count 3 set.

I'm confused, are they fine or not? A g41 board will handle all C2Qs. They will run, they will work. Most g41 boards don't even support OCing. The bios is locked in such a way that OCing settings aren't there. If you want to set this up as an HTPC this should work. If you want to OC your CPU you need to get a better board, a P35 or X48 or something like that.

Power delivery wasn't really a big concern back that. I think you are trying to put modern thoughts on past devices . That's only going to confuse everyone.

MCID47

Distinguished

well, the only thing that make me worried is the website doesnt say support a cpu with more than 65W TDP. But in my own thoughts they would run, i'm just not too sure if i put a Core 2 Quad there and it wont work or even goes up in smoke, just it.

Samat

Distinguished

Well taking a close look at the supported cpus page it says over spec for all parts that are over 65W (Q8400S models is 65W) so it's possible the mb can't handle it. Atleast the manufacturer doesn't promise that.

TRENDING THREADS