3 pin fan control

Forest_Penguin

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I have 3 3 pin fans in my case that I can't control. I Have a cpu fan which I can control through speedfan but my 3 pin fans show up as sys in speedfan and when I change the speed nothing happens. My BIOS doesn't have any fan controls. My fans are very loud, Are there any other ways that I can control my fans withou buying hardware for it?

Solution
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications

Read the manual ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download

- CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan (Allow Chassis Fan Speed Auto-Adjust by CPU Temperature)
- CPU/Chassis/SB Fan Multi-Speed Control

ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one tool to ne-tune different system functions in a user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA and IES. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to overclock CPU frequency for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save...
Its been so long since I have used speed fan or had a MoBo that didn't have a fan control utility, I'm not exactly in the best position to assist.

But this would solve your problem. It is hardware, but ya can still use speedfan and won't have to be twiddling knobs every time your system load changes.

http://www.phanteksusa.com/products/phanteks-fan-hub

1. If your CPU fam header is PWM you could use it with the included power cable.
2. If your CPU fam header is DCV you can not use it with the included power cable and would need to limit the total amperage of all 4 fans to that of the MoBos header rating (typically 1 amp). I have three of those hubs with up to 6 fans on each one (6 x 0.14 amps = 0.84 amps ... I have controlled as many as 8)

Speed control of 3 wire fans is different than 4 wire fans. The control of the speed of fans has to be built into the motherboard most make only the CPU adjustable. You can see if you can change the speed in the BIOS if not you will have to wire in resistors. to reduce the voltage going to the fan.

1. He already has speed control for the CPU fan header, and the fan hub listed will control the 3 pin DCV fans regardless of whether the control is PWM or DCV (DC Voltage)

2. I have not built a box where the MoBo didn't provide fan speed control on all headers in years. Asus FanXpert 2 (And MSI / Giga equivalents) has been available for 4-5 years ... the first version , I can't even remember. Lack of speed control is found only on very ow budget models.

3. Almost all modern mobos use 4 pin fan headers and they may be either with PWM (4 pin) or (DCV) control. I expect however OP has an old board.

3. PWM headers controlling 3 pin DCV fans provides the "best of both worlds" giving you all of PWMs advantages and none of the disadvantages (low speed clicking / humming, cost).

Forest_Penguin

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Asrock X79 extreme 6

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications

Read the manual ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download

- CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan (Allow Chassis Fan Speed Auto-Adjust by CPU Temperature)
- CPU/Chassis/SB Fan Multi-Speed Control

ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one tool to ne-tune different system functions in a user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA and IES. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to overclock CPU frequency for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share it with your friends. Your friends then can load the OC profile to their own system to get the same OC settings. In IES (Intelligent Energy Saver), the voltage regulator can reduce the number of output phases to improve efficiency when the CPU cores are idle without sacrificing computing performance. Please visit our website for the operation procedures of ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU).

ASRock X-FAN will be automatically activated only when the system rises to a certain temperature under heavy-loading or overclocking. Normally, ASRock X-FAN will remain deactivated to give users the quietest computing experience. The target temperature and fan speed settings can be configured in the UEFI setup utility

See page 53 for fan wiring

CPU Fan 1 & 2 Setting
This allows you to set the CPU fan 1 & 2 speed. Configuration options: [Full
On] and [Automatic Mode]. The default is value [Full On].

Chassis Fan 1 Setting
This allows you to set the chassis fan 1 speed. Configuration options:
[Full On], [Automatic Mode] and [Manual]. The default is value [Full On].

SB Fan 1 Setting
This allows you to set the SB fan 1 speed. Configuration options: [Full On]
and [Automatic mode]. The default value is [Automatic mode].

Target SB Temperature
This allows you to set the target temperature to activate ASRock X-FAN. The default value is 50oC/122oF].

Target Fan Speed
This allows you to set the target fan speed. The default value is [Level 1]
(ASRock X-FAN deactivated).

Solution