[SOLVED] 3 pin fan header

SamuelJackson22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Hello,
I Have a problem, just recieved a new PC case and I don't know how to connect some cables correctly...

I know how to connect everything except my case RGB fan to the PC case...

On case fan in the back, i Have 4 pin molex (which i know i need to plug directly in to psu) but there is Also a 3 pin argb (with some Arrow pointing Down) header, which i dont know where to put... ,

Then, on my Pc case in front, i Have SATA cable for powering argb front panel, so thats not problem ,but there are Also some 3 pins connectors, but with some symbols like +5v, so i want to know how to connect these two, if i should connect the 3 pin case fan connector (with Arrow- see picture) to 3 pin front case panel (with +5v) or what should I do?..

Btw I dont have RGB header on my mobo ( Asus prime a320k )

See the pictures bellow to understand situation
https://ibb.co/bBzgRkk
https://ibb.co/8mMHWFP
https://ibb.co/rGT1m9m

Last edited:
Solution
Checked and your PC case does have some sort of RGB controller with it, where you can control the infinity mirror like LEDs, within your front panel, and where you can also connect the rear ARGB fan.

Manual didn't say a word about where the RGB controller is, so, my guess is it's somewhere top/front.

But the header where the 3-pin plug connects, is 3 bare pins, with spacing between two pins:
Left image below:

main-qimg-0de0c643a84a27993db300ac4a135606-lq

Since both your 3-pin ARGB cables have additional header for daisy-chain, you can connect them together, by matching arrows, while using the leftover female plug (with holes), to connect to the PC case RGB controller.

Did some image butchering to...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
2nd image;
left connector - SATA power.
middle connector - goes to MoBo 3-pin ARGB header.
right connector - 3-pin ARGB for plugging in additional fans (daisy-chain).

3rd image;
top connector - MOLEX passthrough (connects to PSU MOLEX plug for power, while allowing another MOLEX connector to connect to it, when needed).
middle connector - 3-pin ARGB for plugging in additional fans (daisy-chain). Also, connector has cap on it, to protect otherwise bare pins.
bottom connector - goes to MoBo 3-pin ARGB header.

Checked and your MoBo doesn't have the 3-pin ARGB header needed to connect those cables.
Your new PC case make and model is? (Since i can't identify the case on picture. There are plethora of PC cases out there.)

SamuelJackson22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
2nd image;
left connector - SATA power.
middle connector - goes to MoBo 3-pin ARGB header.
right connector - 3-pin ARGB for plugging in additional fans (daisy-chain).

3rd image;
top connector - MOLEX passthrough (connects to PSU MOLEX plug for power, while allowing another MOLEX connector to connect to it, when needed).
middle connector - 3-pin ARGB for plugging in additional fans (daisy-chain). Also, connector has cap on it, to protect otherwise bare pins.
bottom connector - goes to MoBo 3-pin ARGB header.

Checked and your MoBo doesn't have the 3-pin ARGB header needed to connect those cables.
Your new PC case make and model is? (Since i can't identify the case on picture. There are plethora of PC cases out there.)

My new Pc case is kolink void white, I understand the cables, but I wonder , if should I connect 3pins with arrow-- 2nd picture (as you said to connect for Daisy chain) to 3 pin with ( +5v sign there)--3rd picture, or this IS not happening..? I've read that if your mobo Have not argb pins on Board, in this case I can connect only molex to psu, so fans will spin 100% speed,and light rgb rainbow only,... Thats why I am asking about if this connecting IS safe, or IT can lead to short-circuit, other cables than this I am 100 sure to connect( usb3.0, front panel pins, hd audio, and so on)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Checked and your PC case does have some sort of RGB controller with it, where you can control the infinity mirror like LEDs, within your front panel, and where you can also connect the rear ARGB fan.

Manual didn't say a word about where the RGB controller is, so, my guess is it's somewhere top/front.

But the header where the 3-pin plug connects, is 3 bare pins, with spacing between two pins:
Left image below:

main-qimg-0de0c643a84a27993db300ac4a135606-lq

Since both your 3-pin ARGB cables have additional header for daisy-chain, you can connect them together, by matching arrows, while using the leftover female plug (with holes), to connect to the PC case RGB controller.

Did some image butchering to showcase how to connect cables:

Kh45Prk.jpg

Reactions: SamuelJackson22
Solution

SamuelJackson22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Yep, the led controller button IS Up on the front pannel

And will this work how IT should? Because ,I Have heard about short circuit,

And do you know the fact that those two you showed me to connect ,are not both with arrows? Only one close to the molex cable (on the left side of your picture) have an arrow, the both others on the right side of the picture you showed me have +5v sign, so you say that it is okay if I connect that arrow 3pin with +5v 3pin connector???

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And do you know the fact that those two you showed me to connect ,are not both with arrows? Only one close to the molex cable (on the left side of your picture) have an arrow, the both others on the right side of the picture you showed me have +5v sign, so you say that it is okay if I connect that arrow 3pin with +5v 3pin connector???

Arrow on the plug shows which pin is the +5V pin, so you can connect them correctly.

should I connect event the molex 4 pin cable

Yes, since MOLEX (and SATA) are to power the hardware itself, while the 3-pin plugs are only for the LED lights.

And will this work how IT should? Because ,I Have heard about short circuit,

You can not connect the 3-pin plug another way, since there is one pin missing in it, making wrong way installation impossible.

When connecting correctly, there is no reason to fear short circuit.

Reactions: SamuelJackson22

SamuelJackson22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Arrow on the plug shows which pin is the +5V pin, so you can connect them correctly.

Yes, since MOLEX (and SATA) are to power the hardware itself, while the 3-pin plugs are only for the LED lights.

You can not connect the 3-pin plug another way, since there is one pin missing in it, making wrong way installation impossible.

When connecting correctly, there is no reason to fear short circuit.
Okay than,Huge thanks to you Aeacus😇 I will try this on 28 of december since I am not yet home, and make this thread as completed than ☺️, but till that, how Can I get you a positive review? Or some suggestuion please, for realy detailed guide and helping😁😉

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So when I Press button on the forntal panel, IT will change both?

When daisy-chained together, both sets of hardware change their LEDs in sync.

how Can I get you a positive review? Or some suggestuion please, for realy detailed guide and helping😁😉

What you can do, is award my most helpful reply with Best Answer,
guide on how to do it: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-award-best-answers-mark-question-as-solved.3450478/

This also marks your topic as "Solved", but it won't lock it. So, you can still post in it.

And you can also give Likes to my replies. Other than those two, there isn't much you can do in TH forums. We don't have "user rating/review" system here.

SamuelJackson22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Thank you very much for everything you helped me here with ☺️, I will try IT on 28 december, and let you know how it went😁, Also did the best soulition and recomendation thing😉, thank you again and Have a Nice evening 😇, if something I need to know I will definitely let you know😁

Reactions: Aeacus