3-pin fan on 4-pin (PWM) header with Smart Fan 5

wombathunter

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Hi guys

Im looking for a couple of 140mm fans as air intake on the front of the case, most fan models I`ve seen are 3-pin while my motherboard's ports are 4-pin (PWM). Just read a couple of threads on the forum about this issue and it seems that 3-pin fans will run at full speed when plugged on a 4-pin PWM header due to the constant 12VCD supply. But cheking my mobo's manual I've found that Smart Fan 5 settings allows you to set the "fan control mode" to voltage control (3-pin designed) instead of PWM (4-pin designed). does this work? I mean, will this setting make my mobos 4-pin ports to act like pure 3-pin ports, without that messy constant 12VCD running fans at top speed?

If it doesn`t work, can you recommend me some 140mm PWM airflow fan models? I'm not looking for static pressure models as the front entrance of my case is pretty clean of any resistances to airflow.

Link to the MB manual: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3P-rev-10#support-manual

SYS_FAN ports are explained on the bottom of page 13
Smart Fan 5 settings are explained on page 26

Sedivy

Estimable
Yes the utility it comes with will allow you to control 3 pin fans with voltage to a point and it'll work fine. However, I find the 4 pin fans a lot more responsive to temp/rpm curve and with better min rpm values. Personally I went with CM's masterfan pro air pressure fans cause it was a good deal for a price and I wanted something with a good performance through the front filter. Any of the ones from the above link will work though. It depends on your price range.