3 pin fans and fan controller

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Finally I am fed up with the noise and decided to buy a fan controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999230

I am not buying from newegg ( not in USA ) and this is the only fan controller available in local shops in my country.. :( I have 4 fans in my casing.. All are cooler master LED 120mm fans. 1xRear , 1xFront , 2xSide panel. I searched for threads about those things and then i got to know that i should have a 4 pin connector if i want to connect fans to motherboard and control the speed. With 3 pin fan speed only.

So my problem is, is this same with the fan controller? My fans have 3 pin connector. Can i control these fan speeds without 4 pin connector?

Thanks all.

Solution
I had the same problem with my Xilence fan controller and the case fans ( also Coolermaster). I used without any 4 pin adapter. Just i plugged the three pin conector from fans into 4 pin from fan controller and everyting worked great.
I had the same problem with my Xilence fan controller and the case fans ( also Coolermaster). I used without any 4 pin adapter. Just i plugged the three pin conector from fans into 4 pin from fan controller and everyting worked great.

Solution

mahatmacoat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
A good lookm around this site should answer some questions.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products

The Zalman fan mate looks cheap and handy for single fan control.

If your bios has fan speed profiling in it, it may be an idea to change some of your existing fans for
4 pin PWM fans which change speed according to temp.

I have 7 fans in my rig , including 4 controlled by the H100 water cooler and its no noisier than my old machine's psu.

P/S The fractal arc fans are darn quiet

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I have never used a fan controller before.. So if i lower my fan speed into something near 600rpm, will there be a good reduction of noise?

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

No way buying those things in that site from local shops. This is the only fan controller i found in local shops in my country.. :pt1cable: 1 month ago i bought two dust filters after going to at least 20 shops. 99% of them have never heard about dust filters. :p So if i ask them about something like "Anti-Vibration Silicone Washers" they would get faint.

mahatmacoat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Oh I see, you seem uto be up against it...at least you have a sense of humour :lol:

Where are you based, if you wish to say?

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Sri Lanka. Actually there is few shops which import those products. I think when the hardware manufactures export their products to Asian countries there is a price increase. Specially when it comes to VGA Cards. Sometimes there is 100$+ difference between Newegg and local shops ( for high end cards ). 50$+ difference in mid range cards. I recently bought a Asus GTX550 ti for 183$ and it was only 130$ in Newegg. :cry:

mahatmacoat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Yeah, I suppose it could be down to a number of factors, the numbers sold, Government import duties, that kind of thing. Mind you , historically, the UK price of anything has often been the same figure in (£) sterling as it has been in dollars on the US market. Some of this again is down to numbers , but a lot is down to huge taxes , both UK and those imposed by the awfull dictatorial EU.

Having said that, have you thought of buying in from abroad? Sure its a mixed scenario, but the site I posted earlier in the thread, the prices shown would be light 20% as VAT is only levied in EU countries . This could of course weigh off against the bank and carriage charges you will be hit with....Could be worth investigation. On the other hand , perhaps the import taxes into Sri Lanka are steep , I don't know.

Ok, there may well be warranty problems with expensive kit, but with fans and the odd controller or two, perhaps worth the risk?

P/S I've always thought of Sri Lanka as Ceylon, I think many Britishers do....The Galle Face hotel in Colombo is on my list of places to visit...one day I hope :)

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

:) Welcome to Sri Lanka.. :)

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I bought the controller.. It allows to turn off the fan.. Sadly minimum rpm is like 600.. 600rpm or turn off.. :( Thank you sosofm..