Question 3 pin to 4 pin on mobo advice

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Hello all.

i got the strix b450 f gaming board. but it only has 2 four pin rgb connectors. My case a deepcool matrixx 55 came with 3 rgb addressable fans. I want to add 2 more either deepcool or corsair rgb addressable fans. is there a way to buy some sort of an adapter to convert from 4 to 3 pin? or should i just get the 3 pack corsair ll 120's rgb that come with the hub?

I researched and this is an outstanding mobo. But....with 4 pin only. $129. Maybe another board for maybe 20-30 dollars more?

thx

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Addressable RGB fans come with 2 wires. One for RGB and one for the fan control. And the connectors are not interchangeable. An RGB header is for RGB alone, fan header for fan alone. You can run 3pin fans in a 4pin fan header, but the RGB is different, you'll need RGB fans that are compatable with the header, and many aren't since some RGB is 5v and some is 12v.

Think of ARGB fans as being 2 totally separate things that being lighting and speeds, and you'll not go wrong, if assuming a fan is a fan and it's all one thing and you'll be wrong from the start.

Last edited: