Question 3 Pin to 4 Pin RGB Header!

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Hello,

I have currently the Z390 AORUS Master and the Sharkoon Nightshark RGB chassis. The LED Hub of the chassis has only a 3 Pin cable although I do think I need a 4 Pin. Is there something like a 3 Pin connector to 4 Pin Connector adapter? The 3 Pin Connector should connect with the LED Hub and the 4 Pin to the Motherboard.

Please review page 14 of the Sharkoon owners manual and page 31 of your motherboard manual. You will notice that your RGB LED hub on your case is designed for 5 V RGB LEDs. Your motherboard can support both 12 V or 5 V on the digital LED header. So, it is important that you set your RGB LED voltage properly or you might cause damage. Also, your motherboard has two RGB LED headers. You should only be using the one referenced on page 31 of the manual, which has three pins. The Sharkoon manual implies that you should have been provided with a compatible cable. If you are using your own fans, it is important that they are compatible with the rest of the system. For further reading, please review the difference between digital RGB and regular ( analog) RGB.

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Please review page 14 of the Sharkoon owners manual and page 31 of your motherboard manual. You will notice that your RGB LED hub on your case is designed for 5 V RGB LEDs. Your motherboard can support both 12 V or 5 V on the digital LED header. So, it is important that you set your RGB LED voltage properly or you might cause damage. Also, your motherboard has two RGB LED headers. You should only be using the one referenced on page 31 of the manual, which has three pins. The Sharkoon manual implies that you should have been provided with a compatible cable. If you are using your own fans, it is important that they are compatible with the rest of the system. For further reading, please review the difference between digital RGB and regular ( analog) RGB.
I already tried plugging the 3 Pin cable from my Sharkoon chassis into the "D_LED1/2" connector from the Motherboard but when I try to set things up like the colour in RGB Fussion it just doesn't respond. So I thought maybe using the other cable would work but now I'm confused.

If the Sharkoon manual is correct, you should be using the four pin connector that has a blank pin at the third position. That configuration should match your motherboard. Do make sure the motherboard is set to 5 V before using that connector.

Did you utilize a SATA power connector to give power to the hub?

Last edited:

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Do make sure the motherboard is set to 5 V before using that connector.

Did you utilize a SATA power connector to give power to the hub?
Yes i utilized a SATA power connector to give power to the hub.

And how do I make sure the motherboard is set to 5 V? Like do you mean this DLED_V_SW (Digital LED Strip Power Select Jumpers )? And if yes then how do I do it I didn't quiet understand what this connector is for when I read the manual for the first time and yet didn't exactly.

Your motherboard has 2 digital RGB headers. D_LED1 and D_LED2. D_LED1 is setup as 5V, IO, blank, ground. D_LED2 is setup as 5V, blank, IO, ground. DLED_V_SW1 controls the voltage on D_LED1. DLED_V_SW2 controls the voltage on D_LED2.

Your Sharkoon case has a plug that is setup with the 4 pin connector as 5V, IO, blank, ground, which matches D_LED1.

So, you will connect the Sharkoon connector to D_LED1 and set DLED_V_SW1 to 5V (... I would set both SW1 and SW2 to 5V). To set these to 5V, you should verify that pins 1 and 2 are covered. On motherboards, pin 1 is normally designated with a 1, an arrow, or a extra silkscreening.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the pin cover (often called a jumper). And yes, based on the information manual, you have it set to 5V in that position.

Looking again at the manual, I made a mistake ... both D_LED1 and D_LED2 have the same configuration, but one is flipped (upside down). Sorry about that.

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Thanks for the repply but looks like RGB Fussion doesn't want me to set my LED fans:

RGB Fussion error message

It happens either when I open RGB Fussion programm or when I opened it and when I click on the Mainboard icon (to the D_LED and LED_C and etc settings)

The error message says: The process can not access the file "......" because it is being used by another process.

Sorry to bother you so much, but why does this error message accure all of a sudden?

Sounds like a software issue. I don’t use that software, so I don’t know specifically what is wrong. The normal recommendation is to reinstall the software. If that doesn’t work, i would make new post to get the attention of someone experienced with RGB fusion.

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Sounds like a software issue. I don’t use that software, so I don’t know specifically what is wrong. The normal recommendation is to reinstall the software. If that doesn’t work, i would make new post to get the attention of someone experienced with RGB fusion.
I guess you won't be able to help me furthermore for now on. But still thank you.