[SOLVED] 3 pins on cpu broke off. Will it still work?

tesha02

Reputable
May 23, 2018
Recently bought a ryzen 5 2600 with 3 broken pins. One of the pin is a grounding pin which is redundant. The other two are MB_DATA pins for memory i think. Is it possible that the cpu will run fine?

Solution
People who can and would do this aren't the people who are asking here "is it possible?"

Especially buying it before knowing about any potential fixes.

Sometimes, you come across a deal and don't want to let it pass even though there's a bit of a gamble. You gotta go for it or you never get another chance.

A lot depends on how much he paid, we still don't know. People are buying completely unknown Ryzen CPU boxes in gacha's in Japan now...not much different.

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Apparently, MB_DATA pins are for the data bus. I think you need that but I could well be mistaken. The best thing to do is plug everything up and see what happens when you hit power. Worst case scenario, nothing happens.

Recently bought a ryzen 5 2600 with 3 broken pins. One of the pin is a grounding pin which is redundant. The other two are MB_DATA pins for memory i think. Is it possible that the cpu will run fine?
MB_DATA= Memory, B Channel Data path. So B Channel memory won't work.

Some people have had luck with cutting a pin off a donor CPU and slipping it into the socket in the location of the broken pin then setting the CPU on top. Make sure it's long enough so when the cooler is clamped on it presses the CPU onto it and makes contact, however unreliable.

Why would you buy a damaged CPU, and expect it to work?
Because it can be a bargain if it does work, and it should work for OP even if only in single channel memory mode.

If he can work the dummy pin-in-socket fix right he could even make it fully functional; it's not unheard of. There's also some guys who solder on a pin to make a repair.

It might yet end up a good deal, it depends entirely how much he paid for it as well as how resourceful and tenacious he is.

Reactions: SamirD
People who can and would do this aren't the people who are asking here "is it possible?"

Especially buying it before knowing about any potential fixes.

Sometimes, you come across a deal and don't want to let it pass even though there's a bit of a gamble. You gotta go for it or you never get another chance.

A lot depends on how much he paid, we still don't know. People are buying completely unknown Ryzen CPU boxes in gacha's in Japan now...not much different.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

True.
It may be a deal, it may be a bad gamble.

But, we've seen this thing before, many times.
"I bought this broken thing. I knew it was broken. How do I fix it?"
If you don't already know...maybe you shouldn't have purchased it.

And people buy all sorts of unknown crap.
Too bad for them.

True.
It may be a deal, it may be a bad gamble.

But, we've seen this thing before, many times.
"I bought this broken thing. I knew it was broken. How do I fix it?"
If you don't already know...maybe you shouldn't have purchased it.

And people buy all sorts of unknown crap.
Too bad for them.
Come on....haven't you ever brought something back from the dead? didn't it give you a real sense of satisfaction? I can't blame OP for wanting some of those good vibes, even if he's just starting out and picked a tough one.

At least OP knew a lot more than most others with broken pin problems: he knew the pin-outs. Show's he's done a little research already. People start somewhere, asking for help is a part of the starting.

USAFRet

Titan
Come on....haven't you ever brought something back from the dead? didn't it give you a real sense of satisfaction? I can't blame OP for wanting some of those good vibes, even if he's just starting out and picked a tough one.

At least OP knew a lot more than most others with broken pin problems: he knew the pin-outs. Show's he's done a little research already. People start somewhere, asking for help is a part of the starting.
Oh, absolutely.

Intel motherboard with bent pins (I caused it, I fixed it)
61" DLP TV brought back from the dead with a clip on magnifying glass
Various motor vehicles

And then this:

Here's one with a slight problem.....

NVexEFN.jpg