3 RAM Sticks in PC!

FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
First of all, here's my build.:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xmvd3F

I like to Run game servers and such and 16gb of RAM is not good enough for my needs, I also record videos and render in C4D and Photoshop and such.

Will my motherboard support 3 Sticks of RAM? I am going to get the same RAM but in the 1 stick pack instead of the 2 stick pack which they have. Same CAS, Voltage, Frequency, everything.

Can I do it? What performance loss/gain will occur? THANKS!

Solution
If you have 4x4gb now get 2x8GB and use 2x4GB with them. That will give you 24GB with 12GB in each channel. If you have 2x8GB get 2 more 8GB, or 2 more 4GB. You need to match the speed, density, and latency to avoid problems. if you buy from crucial.com, or another actual memory supplier they should be able to help you.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Mixing RAM is not recommended. Same single modules with "Same CAS, Voltage, Frequency, everything." might not work, as simple as that.

Best case scenario you might have two DIMMs running in dual channel and one in single channel mode, or worse all three might run single channel.

You can get 4x5GB sold as a pack, or 2x16GB sold as a pack. When they're sold together the manufacturer/brand vendor is guaranteeing them running together.

Best performance, less stress on memory controller inside the i5? Sell your RAM and get 2x16GB same RAM at 2133.

FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from FlareTech : "Different Ram Capacities in PC"

Im looking to upgrade from 16gb of RAM to 24, can I mix in the same RAM thats 2x4gb with my 2x16gb if they have the same specs?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

That's mixing again.

No guarantee they will play along nicely together. Even from same vendor with same chip, clock rate, voltage, latency etc.

When it comes to mixing and matching RAM sometimes they work (less likely) and sometimes they don't work (more likely).

If you need more than 16GB I'd say just go for 32GB. To be on the safe side and to reduce the risk of compatibility issues you choose 2 x 16GB modules (or 4x8GB) from the motherboard manufacturer's QVL for RAM which lives here:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170x-gaming7.pdf

If you want the same speed as you have (2133Mhz) there's only G.Skill with single DIMM 16GB capacity on that list. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean other RAM - not on the list - won't run, it means Gigabyte has only tested those modules on the list and is guaranteeing they'd run.

If you have 4x4gb now get 2x8GB and use 2x4GB with them. That will give you 24GB with 12GB in each channel. If you have 2x8GB get 2 more 8GB, or 2 more 4GB. You need to match the speed, density, and latency to avoid problems. if you buy from crucial.com, or another actual memory supplier they should be able to help you.

Solution

FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for all the help Satan-IR, I learned some new information about RAM and compatibility and such, but William answered my question the best.

It's a little late now, I bought a 3rd 8GB stick and I contacted GIGABYTE to make sure that my motherboard can handle 3 sticks of RAM all in Single Channel until a get a 4th 8gb stick on Christmas. They are the same model and specs, same model number and everything lol.

Thank you guys so much for all the help!