3 RAM sticks?

Jul 14, 2018
Ok guys simple question just want a quick simple answer. I have 8GB DDR3 ram. 2x 2gb sticks and 1x 4gb stick. The 2x 2gb sticks are the same brand however one was manufactured a year before the other. The 4gb ram stick is a total different model and different speed also.

In CPU z it states my ram is running at 833mhz or something like that, in task manager under memory it states my ram is running at 1333mhz. So obviously something isnt right. Would i be better off removing one of the 2gb ram sticks and just having a 2 and 4gb stick in duak channel? Or should i be fine how i am in triple channel? Iv had no issues what so ever with my ram but im just wondering if 3 could be detrimentle to performance rather than 2 considering they all seem to be reading different speeds in different programs i reallt have no idea whats going on lol. Thanks guys

Solution
Reason i asked if you overclocked ram is 833MHz is a weird number.

Triple vs dual channel, there is no real difference in games.

Lga 1366 was the last platform to have triple channel arch. Not sure what platform is your system so ill assume 1366. Different ram capacity will result in dual channel flex mode with 1 stick running single channel. For triple channel dimm capacity need to be the same size.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html#flex

Ie;

2gb + 2gb dual channel / 4gb single channel

Or

2gb + 4gb dual channel but half the 4gb in single channel / 2gb in single channel.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What frequencies are your memory? What does it say in the bios as the default speed it sets for all dimms?

Cpuid reads true dram frequency. Have you overclocked your ram a little?. Task manager shows default SPD value, that would read 666MHz.

Jul 14, 2018
Just a normal lenovo computer only options that come close to overclocking on my mobo is intel turbo boost. I cnnot change ram timmings in bios. I mean iv had zero issues whatsoever but im jus wondering if 6gb in dual channel would be better than 8gb in triple channel i just dont know. In terms of performance though my pc seems fine

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Reason i asked if you overclocked ram is 833MHz is a weird number.

Triple vs dual channel, there is no real difference in games.

Lga 1366 was the last platform to have triple channel arch. Not sure what platform is your system so ill assume 1366. Different ram capacity will result in dual channel flex mode with 1 stick running single channel. For triple channel dimm capacity need to be the same size.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html#flex

Ie;

2gb + 2gb dual channel / 4gb single channel

Or

2gb + 4gb dual channel but half the 4gb in single channel / 2gb in single channel.

Solution