3 screens 1 graphics card

Sirens_

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
hi so i was wondering if it was possible to run 3 screens off a single GTX 1060,it only has 2 HDMI ports but maybe there is some splitter i dont know about, idk. And im not talking about using all 3 displays at once to play a game,id play a game on 1 screen and the other screens would only be used for the internet and other not incentive things. idk im kinda new into computers and just built my first "real setup" so idk if its possible.

build: intel i5 6600k oc to 4.4ghz
GTX 1060
8gb ballistix 3000mhz ram
hyper 212
and an ultra wide LG monitor

Solution
Yes it is possible. But that depends on the input and output ports of your GPU and monitors. More often than not, the GTX 1060 (depending on your exact brand/model) should have 2x or 3x DisplayPorts, 1x or 2x HDMI ports, and 1x DVI-D port. The maximum displays that can be used simultaneously is 4.

Ideally, the 3 monitors that you will plug in the GPU would have those ports, for example, 1 monitor with DisplayPort, 1 monitor with HDMI, and 1 monitor with DVI-D or another example, 2 monitors with DisplayPort and 1 monitor with DVI-D or HDMI, etc. This way, you'll only have to use 3x direct cables (DisplayPort cable, HDMI cable, and/or DVI-D cable).

If in case one or several or all of your monitors doesn't have such input ports...
Yes it is possible. But that depends on the input and output ports of your GPU and monitors. More often than not, the GTX 1060 (depending on your exact brand/model) should have 2x or 3x DisplayPorts, 1x or 2x HDMI ports, and 1x DVI-D port. The maximum displays that can be used simultaneously is 4.

Ideally, the 3 monitors that you will plug in the GPU would have those ports, for example, 1 monitor with DisplayPort, 1 monitor with HDMI, and 1 monitor with DVI-D or another example, 2 monitors with DisplayPort and 1 monitor with DVI-D or HDMI, etc. This way, you'll only have to use 3x direct cables (DisplayPort cable, HDMI cable, and/or DVI-D cable).

If in case one or several or all of your monitors doesn't have such input ports, then, you'd have to resort on using conversion adaptor cables such as a DisplayPort-to-HDMI, DisplayPort-to-DVI-D, HDMI-to-DVI-D, etc. All of the aforementioned adaptor cables uses digital signals (DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI-D).

As much as possible, avoid monitors that only have a VGA input (and only a VGA input), as such input uses analog signals. It is still possible to use an adaptor, but you'd have to spend more for an active adaptor cable to convert digital to analog.

Solution

Sirens_

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017

i have the gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb it has 1 HDMI, 1 display port and 2 dvi-d dual link ports. i have currently 1, 25" 21:9 monitor and i wanted to get 2 shorter screens to put on either side. so if i understood correctly i could just connect the other screens with the 2 dvi-d ports and have 1 screen on hdmi and 2 dvid right?

Yes, that's correct.