[SOLVED] 3 sticks of 8gb DDR4-2666

chaoticjoy1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Hey quick question. I have dual channel memory setup for two 8gb sticks, happen to have an extra stick of the same memory, would it hurt to insert another stick? For a total of 24gb.

Sorry if its a dumb question. :/

Solution
There is no guarantee it will run with the third stick.
RAM can be picky when it comes to compatibility between kits, and while it works most of the time its not going to work every time, so dont be surprised if it doesnt.
Another thing to note, depending on your motherboard you will probably lose dual channel support, so expect a small decrease in RAM performance in exchange for the capacity.
RAM can be picky when it comes to compatibility between kits, and while it works most of the time its not going to work every time, so dont be surprised if it doesnt.
Another thing to note, depending on your motherboard you will probably lose dual channel support, so expect a small decrease in RAM performance in exchange for the capacity.

Solution

chaoticjoy1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008

Yeah thats exactly what I was worried about, having it potentially hinder the dual channel setup, but I guess no better way to find out than to try it! lol

I have the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 LGA 1151

Last edited: