[SOLVED] 3 System-fans wont run on startup.

esotericusername

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
Hello!

I've recently bought a new tower and bought 3 fans to mount in the front. I plugged all the fans directly into the motherboard. And they're connected to system-2, 3 and 5.
The problem is that the fans wont run when I boot my system. I can manually spin them and they will run with no problem. But if i don't spin them, they wont start running. Some times one or two of the fans will start running when i boot, but most of the time, they don't start spinning at all. I've tried different settings in the bios, but to no success. The only time I get them running, and I've done it many times, is if I press "All full speed" in bios. If I turn off my system, they wont start the next time I boot... Any tips here? I'm stuck...

Heres my speccs. [LINK] (PSU 650W)

And heres a video of how the fans behave. [LINK]

Solution
Check configuration details in BIOS Setup - see p. 59 of your manual. These need to be adjusted separately for each heder you are using. Referring to the graphic illustration, on each header start by clicking on the "All Set Default" at lower right. Next go to upper left. IF your fans are 3-pin, set to DC; IF they are 4-pin set to PWM. Now look at the "Fan Curve" in the middle. You can adjust this now, or reboot first and see if it works without any further adjustment. OR, just proceed with these: for each of the two dots for low speed at low temperatures, raise the speed of those. Your description indicates the fans are being told to run too slowly and are stalling, so setting higher minimum speeds should solve it. When you have all...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check configuration details in BIOS Setup - see p. 59 of your manual. These need to be adjusted separately for each heder you are using. Referring to the graphic illustration, on each header start by clicking on the "All Set Default" at lower right. Next go to upper left. IF your fans are 3-pin, set to DC; IF they are 4-pin set to PWM. Now look at the "Fan Curve" in the middle. You can adjust this now, or reboot first and see if it works without any further adjustment. OR, just proceed with these: for each of the two dots for low speed at low temperatures, raise the speed of those. Your description indicates the fans are being told to run too slowly and are stalling, so setting higher minimum speeds should solve it. When you have all headers set, use Esc to Main Menu, then the F10 key to pop up an Exit Manu, there choose to Save Change and Reset to save settings and reboot.

Solution

esotericusername

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
IF your fans are 3-pin, set to DC; IF they are 4-pin set to PWM.

You did it mate! I did try to change that on one of the fans, but it didn't make a difference. May be because I fooled around with so much else at the same time. I set defaults and changed from DC to PWM only. Ive booted it 10 times and they start every time. Thank you so much!!

Last edited: