3 way ssd setup; bmachine for professional animator

Jakob Kudsk

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
The support and feedback in here on the community has been godlike. I'm now receiving the fact at items for my first build in a decade. Spent a fair amount of 1800 usd on it, but a pre built would have been crazy overpriced in comparison.

Help! I hope this text is not too cryptic:

So I am down to the ssd. I have 3: one ocz 150 256 gb. One Samsung pro 850 256 gb and one Samsung evo 500 gab. Plus several external usb drives. This is a work station for a particular flow: one ssd has operation system and software. One has the data of current project and one is being rendered to constantly. (Well nearly constantly). I make 4K and 6k video inside ue4 and do heavy effects in adobe after effects and photoshop simultaneously. The ssd are already bought.

I'm not sure which to use where. The 500 gb is for the current map/project I'm working on in Adobe and ue4.

Should OS be on the ocz? How slow is it? I'm thinking this because ocz will only be used for software and os. So less writing to that ssd. The 850 pro I bought for it reviews on how long it lasts and how reliable it is. So I am thinking to render to that one as a scratch disk.

Alternative is to have software on the pro as well as os, and both use it for scratch and for rendering of data from the 850 evo. The ocz will just be some kind of extra unit, or for extra software

Each frame I make is about 10 mb/frame, 60 pr sec. So that is 10x60x60 a min- 36 gig a minute of rendering, 600 mb/sec. Usually work on scenes of 3 min length at the time, so 108 gb pr render from ue.

These scenes are then run through after effects and formatted to my video file that i work in from there on.

So on the other hand:

If I use pro 850 for OS AND scratch disk, I can run softwares and all installed programs from the ocz and render from the 850 evo to the 850 pro. In case the ocz is not as slow as I think, perhaps best is to use it for all software and os and use the faster drives for all the data loading and rendering?

This is all on an x99 asus a usb 3.1 board with a six clock 4.5 ghz and the new gtx 1070 and 32 gig ram for now. Any way I should be aware where to plug which ssd in relation to performance?

Solution
I also have 3 SSDs for my video work flow. Even though I have 3 Intel 730s, I did have an older Intel 330 as a OS. I couldn't tell the difference when it comes to the OS and loading Apps. I would however make your 850 Pro as the main project drive with the Evo as your temp drive.

My workflow is this. OS SSD, Project and all my files i'm working on same SSD (different than os). Than my other SSD is for all TEMP files / Scratch disk. I do somethings use it for video files if i'm lazy and don't put it on my other drive. Or sometimes multiple 4k files load better off different SSDs.

The 850 Pro is the fastest full and empty (close to 500mb/s), while both the OCZ and EVO trail behind when the drive gets full and drops below 300MB/s.

If...

iamacow

Admirable
I also have 3 SSDs for my video work flow. Even though I have 3 Intel 730s, I did have an older Intel 330 as a OS. I couldn't tell the difference when it comes to the OS and loading Apps. I would however make your 850 Pro as the main project drive with the Evo as your temp drive.

My workflow is this. OS SSD, Project and all my files i'm working on same SSD (different than os). Than my other SSD is for all TEMP files / Scratch disk. I do somethings use it for video files if i'm lazy and don't put it on my other drive. Or sometimes multiple 4k files load better off different SSDs.

The 850 Pro is the fastest full and empty (close to 500mb/s), while both the OCZ and EVO trail behind when the drive gets full and drops below 300MB/s.

If you have the ability I would get a 950 Pro M.2 drive or a Intel 750 PCIE SSD if you are really pushing that much data.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS