[SOLVED] 3 years later, error when booting from M.2 ssd

Aug 26, 2020
So today I got to my computer that I had put to sleep previously to find that it would not wake up. So I restarted it and got a windows error, "An unexpected I/O error has occurred" with the error code 0xc00000e9. This persisted whenever I tried to boot from my main m.2 drive I’ve been using for 3 years. I’ve unplugged every I/o device except for the m.2 ssd, but it still persists.

Weirder, the BIOS does not register that there is anything plugged into the M.2 slot, but about 50% of the time when I boot into the BIOS, the ssd is available as a boot option, but will throw the error if I try to boot from it.

MOBO: ASUS prime 7370–P
SSD: XPG SX6000 512GB

I don’t know which part has gone wrong, and I’m ready to buy a replacement part, but I’m not sure which part to replace.

I don’t have any other m.2 drives to test it on, unfortunately.

It works fine and recognizes all of my other SATA drives, but the m.2 drive has my OS on it.

Solution
Before tossing it out I would go into the advanced bios and secure erase the drive, sometimes that can revive them to their former state. Of course this will destroy everything on the drive so you will want to back up all data first, then do a clean W10 install.

RealBeast

Titan
Before tossing it out I would go into the advanced bios and secure erase the drive, sometimes that can revive them to their former state. Of course this will destroy everything on the drive so you will want to back up all data first, then do a clean W10 install.

Solution
Aug 26, 2020
But do you think it’s the drive that’s the problem? It seems to me like the m.2 port might have died? But I’m not sure how I would be able to tell.